How do you play Zork Grand Inquisitor?

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Nicholas Steel

How do you play Zork Grand Inquisitor?

Post by Nicholas Steel »

The version provided by GOG seems to use the ZEngine to improve compatibility with modern operating systems but this has a strange issue where the mouse courser will somewhat frequently jump from one spot on the screen to another spot which is always jarring and irritating when it happens.

I've read that the ScummVM engine supports this game, I'm not 100% sure of how to setup ScummVM for the game.

I've read in the ScummVM documentation that there is a recommended font file to download for ScummVM when using ScummVM to play this game, however all the links to this file in the ScummVM documentation are dead. I tried opening a case for this on the bug tracker but it seemingly got deleted >.>" so I'm pointing this out here on the forum.

tl;dr?
Would like help setting up ScummVM for this game.
Would like a copy of the recommended font file.
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Re: How do you play Zork Grand Inquisitor?

Post by criezy »

Nicholas Steel wrote:I tried opening a case for this on the bug tracker but it seemingly got deleted >.>"
The bug you opened is still here at https://bugs.scummvm.org/ticket/10448. It has not been deleted but it has been closed because the issue has now been fixed (and thank you for reporting it!).

You can find valid links to download the fonts in the updated README or on our wiki.
Nicholas Steel

Post by Nicholas Steel »

Ooh, okay, thank you.
Nicholas Steel

Post by Nicholas Steel »

Where is the Extras folder located? Neither the warning message nor that section of the help file mentions where it is located.

I tried creating an "extras" folder in the ScummVM folder and placing the fonts there but the game still won't launch/tells me to get the fonts.
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

Have you also "set" your extras drawer to the correct location in Options... -> Paths ?
Nicholas Steel

Post by Nicholas Steel »

I just figured that out right now lol, scary coincidence. The game's loading now. After I beat Pajama Sam 2 (already beaten 1 & 3) I'll see how well Zork plays in ScummVM.

Zork: Grand Inquisitor really didn't play very well in the ZEngine program that GOG used. Camera panning speed was wonky regardless of configuration and the mouse intermittently jumped to a completely different location on the screen when you're moving the courser around the screen which made the experience pretty wonky.

Initial impression of Zork: tGI in ScummVM is promising, camera panning is how I remember it behaving back in the day. Edit: Yes ScummVM handles the game excellently.