Zork Grand Inquisitor GOG DVD version

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Baggins

Zork Grand Inquisitor GOG DVD version

Post by Baggins »

GOG just updated to the DVD version, and SCUMMVM 2.0.

However, as its been noted in the forums the game doesn't actually load the DVD vob files and defaults to the AVI files....

Does anyone know how to fix this?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Zork Grand Inquisitor GOG DVD version

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Baggins wrote:GOG just updated to the DVD version, and SCUMMVM 2.0.

However, as its been noted in the forums the game doesn't actually load the DVD vob files and defaults to the AVI files....

Does anyone know how to fix this?
Unfortunately, while ScummVM can decode the videos (if it's compiled with libmpeg2 support), it doesn't have an audio decoder for them. So that feature is disabled.

It should be possible to use liba52, or at least I think that was the library for it... but you'd still have to write the code for ScummVM to use it. The last attempt I'm aware of never got to the stage where it was really usable and I don't even remember if the code from that experiment still exists.
Baggins

Post by Baggins »

Well hopefully with the official release of the files on GOG, this will be motivation for the teams to start looking into getting them to work properly.
KainXVIII

Post by KainXVIII »

Any updates on DVD fmvs support?
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

Yes: support for those was added to ScummVM in October.
See https://github.com/scummvm/scummvm/pull/1356
KainXVIII

Post by KainXVIII »

criezy wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 6:26 pm Yes: support for those was added to ScummVM in October.
See https://github.com/scummvm/scummvm/pull/1356
Strange, i'm using latest daily build Scummvm with GoG version of ZGI and movies are not in high quality :shock:
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

The is an optional feature that requires ScummVM to be compiled with both the a52 and mpeg2 libraries. Maybe the nightly build you are using does not have those. You can check in ScummVM which features are included using the About... button. Under Features compiled in you should have both A/52 and MPEG2. If you don't have them, can you tell us which nightly build are you using (for which platform? from where?)?

The other possible issue, is that you have not enabled the game option to use the high resolution videos. You can do it either in the game options in the ScummVM launcher (select the ZGI game, click on Edit Game..., and if the option is available you should have a Use high resolution MPEG video under the Engine tab) or in the game itself (in Preferences turn on the MPEG option in the bottom right corner).
Gudadantza

Post by Gudadantza »

I have similar problems in he gog version, I have changed the scummvm version with the last nightly build of the site and there is an option in game (not in engine tab) to switching on the high quality videos, but they do not seem to work. The option of using high quality videos in the engine tab from scummvm does not exist.

And the switch ingame does not seem to save the option. If I start new game the option does not exist and/or the videos are not high quality. So I am unable to watch the intro in high resolution because the tab into scummvm is not present.
Restoring a save that has that option switched on previously and trying to watch a movie does not show it in high resolution.

Probably that option has been removed because Looking into options/about, the MPEG2 feature is there but not the a52 libraries.
I am Using latest builds from May.

Greetings
Gudadantza

Post by Gudadantza »

Ok. the problem seems to be solved running a different daily build. The last official development build from the buildbot must be downloaded, not the "additional snapshot" one.

The game launches wth a couple of different videos than before so it seems to be working as intended
KainXVIII

Post by KainXVIII »

criezy wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 10:23 pm The is an optional feature that requires ScummVM to be compiled with both the a52 and mpeg2 libraries. Maybe the nightly build you are using does not have those. You can check in ScummVM which features are included using the About... button. Under Features compiled in you should have both A/52 and MPEG2. If you don't have them, can you tell us which nightly build are you using (for which platform? from where?)?

The other possible issue, is that you have not enabled the game option to use the high resolution videos. You can do it either in the game options in the ScummVM launcher (select the ZGI game, click on Edit Game..., and if the option is available you should have a Use high resolution MPEG video under the Engine tab) or in the game itself (in Preferences turn on the MPEG option in the bottom right corner).
I used Win32 ScummVM Daily Snapshot instead of "Download the official daily builds. They are generated by our buildbot." Should work now :roll:
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

@criezy

Can the playback of those high res videos still be optimized...it runs a little slow with dropouts on weaker machines.
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

@KainXVIII and @Guadadantza: From the information you have given it appeared that the "additional snapshot" builds were lacking the liba52 support. I have contacted the person who is providing those, and he already added support for it (although you may need to wait for the next one as I am not sure today's build include it). If you have the opportunity to test, please let us know if high-resolution movies work now with those builds.

@Raziel I am not sure. The first thing to do would be to profile the code to see what part of the code takes time. If this is in the video and audio decoding provided by the MPEG2 and liba52 libraries, then there is probably not much we can do. If this is in the ScummVM code, then we could possibly find ways to optimise it.
Gudadantza

Post by Gudadantza »

criezy wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 8:18 pm @KainXVIII and @Guadadantza: From the information you have given it appeared that the "additional snapshot" builds were lacking the liba52 support. I have contacted the person who is providing those, and he already added support for it (although you may need to wait for the next one as I am not sure today's build include it). If you have the opportunity to test, please let us know if high-resolution movies work now with those builds.

@Raziel I am not sure. The first thing to do would be to profile the code to see what part of the code takes time. If this is in the video and audio decoding provided by the MPEG2 and liba52 libraries, then there is probably not much we can do. If this is in the ScummVM code, then we could possibly find ways to optimise it.
I can confirm that the last additional snapshot build (21 may) seems to run fine the high res movies, only tested the first two movies and the intro though. The option from scummvm GUI turns on by defect the high res movies switch ingame
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

Thank you for the confirmation. :)
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

@criezy

Well, back to square one then for me.

scummvm-conf is crashing on trying to use gprof (-pg) and no other profilers available...sigh