ScummVM won't find "The Dig"

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

bhe

ScummVM won't find "The Dig"

Post by bhe »

HI all,

I'm trying to play "The Dig", but ScummVM can't find it. At first I tried with version 1.9.0.2, then with the current 2.0.0, but no success.

The game directory contains the files listed here. I tried to check the MD5 sums using the explanation here, but couldn't get any messages. I only got some kind of result by calling ScummVM the the --debuglevel=5 command, for the shortned output see below.

I find it somewhat strange that it doesn't even check for "dig" or "scumm" or so. can anyone give me any pointers what else to check?
If needed I may attach the full logfile.

Code: Select all

Debuglevel (from command line): 5
Starting detection in dir 'C:\thedig\'
Skipping game: amazon ((null) DOS/English) (0)
Skipping game: amazon ((null) DOS/Spanish) (1)
Skipping game: amazon (Demo DOS/English) (2)
Skipping game: amazon (CD DOS/English) (3)
Skipping game: martian ((null) DOS/English) (4)
Skipping game: martian (Demo DOS/English) (5)
Starting detection in dir 'C:\thedig\'
Skipping game: hires1 ((null) Apple II/English) (0)
Skipping game: hires1 ((null) Apple II/English) (1)
Skipping game: hires2 ((null) Apple II/English) (2)
Skipping game: hires0 ((null) Apple II/English) (3)
Skipping game: hires3 ((null) Apple II/English) (4)
Skipping game: hires4 ((null) Apple II/English) (5)
Skipping game: hires4 ((null) Atari 8-bit/English) (6)
Skipping game: hires5 ((null) Apple II/English) (7)
Skipping game: hires6 ((null) Apple II/English) (8)

[......]
WARNING: ScummVM could not find any game in C:\thedig\
WARNING&#58; Consider using --path=<path> *before* --add or --detect to specify a directory
WARNING&#58; Consider using --recursive *before* --add or --detect to search inside subdirectories
dafioram

Post by dafioram »

Which version of the dig are you trying to play, PC? Are you adding the game using the command line or the gui?
bhe

Post by bhe »

Yes, I'm using PC. I tried adding the game via command line and via GUI, both didn't work.
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

Is this the version from Steam?
If it is you also need the executable I believe as one of the data file is embedded into it.
bhe

Post by bhe »

It's the old DOS version. I think it's odd that the logfile won't show anything like "Skipped game: thedig" or so, just like it doesn't even try to find it.
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

bhe wrote:Yes, I'm using PC. I tried adding the game via command line and via GUI, both didn't work.
Do you get an error message of some sorts while adding the game or something along the lines of "Your game is unknown, please report the following ... "?
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

Those "Skipping game" messages are from the advanced detector that many engines are using, but not the scumm one. The scumm engines is using its own custom detection code, so you won't get those debug messages for SCUMM games I believe (unless a similar message is used in the detection code for those).

As for the game not being detected, if you don't get the message about having an unknown version of the game, then it likely means you are missing some game files used by the detection code.
OmerMor
Got a warning

Post by OmerMor »

I believe the detection table for The Dig can be found here:
https://github.com/scummvm/scummvm/blob ... les.h#L516

Code: Select all

&#123; "dig", "dig.la%d", kGenDiskNum, UNK_LANG, UNK, 0 &#125;,
	&#123; "dig", "thedig.la%d", kGenDiskNum, UNK_LANG, UNK, "Demo" &#125;, // Used by an alternate version of the demo
	&#123; "dig", "The Dig Data", kGenUnchanged, UNK_LANG, Common&#58;&#58;kPlatformMacintosh, 0 &#125;,
	&#123; "dig", "The Dig Demo Data", kGenUnchanged, UNK_LANG, Common&#58;&#58;kPlatformMacintosh, "Demo" &#125;,
	&#123; "dig", "dig.la%d", kGenDiskNumSteam, UNK_LANG, Common&#58;&#58;kPlatformWindows, "Steam" &#125;,
	&#123; "dig", "dig.la%d", kGenDiskNumSteam, UNK_LANG, Common&#58;&#58;kPlatformMacintosh, "Steam" &#125;,
I think DIG.LA0 should trigger the detection.
bhe

Post by bhe »

Raziel wrote: Do you get an error message of some sorts while adding the game or something along the lines of "Your game is unknown, please report the following ... "?
No :(
bhe

Post by bhe »

criezy wrote:The scumm engines is using its own custom detection code, so you won't get those debug messages for SCUMM games I believe (unless a similar message is used in the detection code for those).

As for the game not being detected, if you don't get the message about having an unknown version of the game, then it likely means you are missing some game files used by the detection code.
Is there any way to make the scumm engine to be more verbose?
bhe

Post by bhe »

OmerMor wrote: I think DIG.LA0 should trigger the detection.
This file is in the directory :(
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

I looked quickly at the code and it does indeed look like the detection for the DOS version uses the DIG.LA0 file (which I confirmed by copying that file alone from my DOS version of the game into a new directory and the game is correctly detected in that directory).

Also there is not a lot of debug messages for the SCUMM detection unfortunately. With debug level 1 you will get a message if a game is detected ("SCUMM detector found matching file 'xxx' with MD5 xxx, size xxx") but I don't think you will even get one when nothing is detected.

Your game data files are directly in the directory you select for the detection (C:\thedig\ according to one of your previous messages)? If they are in a sub-directory, this might be the issue. The detector does not look into sub-directories (although with the command line you can use '--recursive').

Another possibility would be that you have a ScummVM build that doesn't include the SCUMM engine. You can see which engines are included in the About dialog in ScummVM. The SCUMM engine should be first in the list (and then the other ones are listed alphabetically).
bhe

Post by bhe »

criezy wrote:I looked quickly at the code and it does indeed look like the detection for the DOS version uses the DIG.LA0 file (which I confirmed by copying that file alone from my DOS version of the game into a new directory and the game is correctly detected in that directory).
Do I understand correctly, the directory only contained DIG.LA0 and ScummVM detected the game successfully?

criezy wrote: Also there is not a lot of debug messages for the SCUMM detection unfortunately. With debug level 1 you will get a message if a game is detected ("SCUMM detector found matching file 'xxx' with MD5 xxx, size xxx") but I don't think you will even get one when nothing is detected.
On github I found the file https://github.com/scummvm/scummvm/blob ... md5.h#L613 and my DIG.LA0 file has exactly this md5! Why the f*** isn't the game detected? :evil:
Does it make any difference if the game is in German? On the other hand: md5 still is the same.

criezy wrote: Your game data files are directly in the directory you select for the detection (C:\thedig\ according to one of your previous messages)? If they are in a sub-directory, this might be the issue. The detector does not look into sub-directories (although with the command line you can use '--recursive').
Tried this as well, but made no difference.
criezy wrote: Another possibility would be that you have a ScummVM build that doesn't include the SCUMM engine. You can see which engines are included in the About dialog in ScummVM. The SCUMM engine should be first in the list (and then the other ones are listed alphabetically).
No, scumm is included. :(
bhe

Post by bhe »

Found the reason: For whatever reason DIG.LA0 was set hidden. Removed the attribute and it's found. :roll:
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

That's an interesting one. I didn't know the detection code skipped hidden files. Although it does make sense I guess.