ScummVM logo Forum Index - ScummVM website - Contact us - Buy Supported Games: GOG.com Rules - Search - Register - Login curved edge
Folder Forum Index > General Discussion > Better Music for GM ScummVM (and DOSBox) games Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Better Music for GM ScummVM (and DOSBox) games
  Author    Thread Reply to topic
cwadge

quote:
Originally posted by LouEatingSalami
That doesn't really help as there seems to be an issue with some SCI games regarding volume changes. In the games I mentioned all volume changes only affect the drum channel, all the other instruments stay at the same volume no matter what you set it to.

Hmm, that's not how it works for me. What version of ScummVM are you using and on what OS?
Post Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:59 pm 
Angelus3K

Hi all,

Thanks for these amazing sound fonts. Iíve just found this thread, should I be using the UHD soundfont in the first post or the Fatboy one? And what is the difference?

Thanks

Post Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:59 pm 
cwadge

quote:
Originally posted by Angelus3K
Hi all,

Thanks for these amazing sound fonts. Iíve just found this thread, should I be using the UHD soundfont in the first post or the Fatboy one? And what is the difference?

Thanks

UHD is General MIDI only, and I finished it more than a decade ago. It was designed to be relatively lightweight (64mb) yet well balanced.

FatBoy is my newer project which, due to the prevalence of high-quality software synths and tons of system RAM, doesn't have the limitations of its predecessor. I'm still working on FatBoy, but it's already fully GM compliant and partially supports the GS standard as well.

If you don't have extremely limited hardware, I'd go with FatBoy. But you're of course welcome to try them both and see which you like better.
Post Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:19 pm 
Angelus3K

Thanks for the quick reply.

I already tried UHD and was amazed by the quality!

Iíll give Fatboy a go and will be prepared to be blown away again lol. I have high end PC but planning to play primarily on an iPad Air 2, they have 2GB RAM so hopefully will work ok on that.

Post Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:39 pm 
cwadge

quote:
Originally posted by Angelus3K
Thanks for the quick reply.

I already tried UHD and was amazed by the quality!

Iíll give Fatboy a go and will be prepared to be blown away again lol. I have high end PC but planning to play primarily on an iPad Air 2, they have 2GB RAM so hopefully will work ok on that.

FatBoy currently weighs in at 316MB, which is what you can expect in memory usage when all banks are loaded into RAM. However, it's likely to grow a bit larger as I put more work into it. Wink

Let me know what you think, if you run into anything that sounds "off", etc.
Post Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:53 pm 
cwadge

Just an update for anybody who might be following this project. I've been very busy with both work and life, plus fighting off a nasty flu. But I've put some work into the new flute preset, primarily looping the samples which is a bit challenging due to their naturalistic style. I'll be sure to post it for you to try out before it becomes part of FatBoy, assuming it ever gets to the point where I feel it'd be a definite upgrade over the existing flute preset.

Post Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:52 pm 
Reply to topic