ScummVM 2.0.0 - Hanging notes with real MIDI synth

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Digitoxin

ScummVM 2.0.0 - Hanging notes with real MIDI synth

Post by Digitoxin »

When using ScummVM 2.0.0 with a real MIDI tone generator (Yamaha MU-80), I get hanging notes when exiting ScummVM while playing Sierra SCI games. I haven't tried any other games yet.

Shouldn't ScummVM be sending a reset command to MIDI devices on exit to prevent this type of thing from happening?
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

You were probably hit by this.
Digitoxin

Post by Digitoxin »

Regardless of the engine being used, ScummVM should always send a reset command to the MIDI device on exit.
Raziel wrote:You were probably hit by this.
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

As written in the link i posted there was a big rewrite of SCI's MIDI part which unfortunately broke some things.

One of them (probably) were the issues you are expereincing.

If you try 1.9.0 you'll see that it does what you expect it to do and it will again, in a future version/revision.
snover
ScummVM Developer

Post by snover »

There is an open bug report about this. The MPU-401 driver does seem to be sending some reset-looking messages when it is destroyed, and not everyone experiences this problem, so I can’t explain offhand why it might be happening to you. Providing more reproduction information in that ticket could be helpful.
Raziel wrote:As written in the link i posted there was a big rewrite of SCI's MIDI part which unfortunately broke some things.
This is actually the complete opposite of what I wrote in that thread.
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

Yep, sorry...mixed up the fact that there is a big rewrite needed...too tired
Digitoxin

Post by Digitoxin »

I have several external MIDI devices so I'll do some extensive testing on this and post my results on the bug report.
snover wrote:There is an open bug report about this. The MPU-401 driver does seem to be sending some reset-looking messages when it is destroyed, and not everyone experiences this problem, so I can’t explain offhand why it might be happening to you. Providing more reproduction information in that ticket could be helpful.
Raziel wrote:As written in the link i posted there was a big rewrite of SCI's MIDI part which unfortunately broke some things.
This is actually the complete opposite of what I wrote in that thread.