Hoyle Classic Card Games - Corrupt resources?

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Fred_PJ

Hoyle Classic Card Games - Corrupt resources?

Post by Fred_PJ »

Hoyle Classic Card Games worked great with version 1.9.0, however with the latest daily builds when I start the game the "Missing or corrupt game resources have been detected" message appears, along with a lot of messages at the status window appear like: "WARNING: Resource audio36.1017 from RESOURCE.000 points beyond end of RESOURCE.AUD".

Is it working for you? Am I doing something wrong? Or is the game broken in the current build?
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

I asked one of ou SCI developers and he said that "some basic resource corruption checking was added to the engine for audio files, so if there are problems with the resource files, then it will report it now instead of silently having messed up audio". This answer suggest that some of your files might be corrupted, and you may want to copy them again from the original CD to see if it fixes the issue.
snover
ScummVM Developer

Post by snover »

I was the developer responsible for that remark. Now I finally got a forum account to spare criezy from needing to spend his valuable time copying and pasting my answers from the chat (…as often).

If re-copying the resources from the original game media does not fix the issue, please go ahead and open a ticket on the bug tracker with the complete output from the log window, and all of the other information requested on the bug tracker page I’ve linked. Occasionally, Sierra accidentally left invalid and unused audio maps on their CDs, which can cause this warning to be generated even though the game never tries to play any audio from that resource. In such cases we can blacklist the map so that future versions of ScummVM will not warn about it.
Fred_PJ

Post by Fred_PJ »

Update: Turns out I was probably using a bad source indeed, I guess that's what you get for being lazy. I've installed the game from the 4 original floppies and can confirm that the game is working in ScummVM 2.0.0 without any error messages. Thanks for the help guys, keep up the good work.

Fred_PJ

Post by Fred_PJ »

I've noticed that some digital sound effects aren't playing in ScummVM though (and playing fine anywhere else), so I've opened a ticket on the bug tracker.