Curse of Monkey Island Full Screen Mouse Problem

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

vollachr

Curse of Monkey Island Full Screen Mouse Problem

Post by vollachr »

Hi,

I'm trying to play COMI using ScummVM, it works fine in windowed mode but when running in full screen the mouse cursor moves too fast and jumps to the edges of the screen all the time, it's practically impossible to play.

I'm running it on a Windows 10 64bit PC in case that matters, my desktop resolution is Full HD 1920x1080 and I'm using the aspect correction option in ScummVM.

Oh, and of course, latest stable version of ScummVM.

I'd really want it to be playable at full screen, please help me.

Thank you.
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

Could this be the same issue reported in that other thead: Mouse cursor jumps randomly to corners of the screen, win10? You could try to ungrab the mouse (which is grabbed by default in fullscreen) using Ctrl+M since this apparently helped in at least one case reported in that other thread.
vollachr

Post by vollachr »

criezy wrote:Could this be the same issue reported in that other thead: Mouse cursor jumps randomly to corners of the screen, win10? You could try to ungrab the mouse (which is grabbed by default in fullscreen) using Ctrl+M since this apparently helped in at least one case reported in that other thread.
I honestly didn't even know that's an option.

Anyway, I just installed the Win32 ScummVM Daily Snapshot that is available on the download page, it actually solved the mouse issue but the picture won't fill the screen in full screen but rather have black strips at the side (like a 4:3 display on a 16:9 monitor).

That's however is minor compared to the mouse issue as I was forced to play it in maximized window so far and it was the same 4:3 aspect ratio.

It's like the aspect ratio correction option in the daily snapshot version doesn't work. Again, minor issue.

I might try re-installing version 1.9.0.2 and check your suggestion though.

EDIT: Nope, just tried, CTRL+M doesn't do anything for me on the latest stable version.
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

I thought you likely had the issue described here https://bugs.scummvm.org/ticket/9623 , but maybe not (I just saw your edit).

Regarding the black band, from your description it seems like it is working properly. The aspect ratio correction option is meant to give you a 4/3 ratio. There were some issues with older versions for which the OS or graphics card might not have respected that and stretched the display, but this was not ScummVM doing it. You have some description of what the aspect ratio correction is in our user manual: http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/User_ ... re_ScummVM
vollachr

Post by vollachr »

criezy wrote:I thought you likely had the issue described here https://bugs.scummvm.org/ticket/9623 , but maybe not (I just saw your edit).

Regarding the black band, from your description it seems like it is working properly. The aspect ratio correction option is meant to give you a 4/3 ratio. There were some issues with older versions for which the OS or graphics card might not have respected that and stretched the display, but this was not ScummVM doing it. You have some description of what the aspect ratio correction is in our user manual: http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/User_ ... re_ScummVM
OK, well, It's just the throughout my time using ScummVM, and I've been using it on/off for years, aspect ratio correction always resulted in picture filling the screen, not a 4:3 picture with black bands, so I thought that's how it was suppose to be.

I stand corrected.

Still, I wonder what could be causing the mouse issue in 1.9.0.2, could possibly have been related to aspect correction working wrong I guess, can it?