German VOYEUR version

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Bakhtosh
Got a warning

German VOYEUR version

Post by Bakhtosh »

A month ago I wanted to play the german version of this game again. There is only a german CD-I version and playing with emulators like CD-I Emu or MAME/MESS you run into issues like freezes or wrong colors.

Since ScummVM supports the english DOS version of the game I thought maybe support of the CD-I versions could be added. But while the main resource files are similar (RTB/BLT) the files containing the movies are quite different.

But since a tool exists to extract audio from CD-I discs I got the idea to merge/convert the english DOS version and the german CD-I version to a german DOS version game datafiles set usable by ScummVM.

So I created such a german DOS version game datafiles set usable by ScummVM:
- movies with german audio
- text in pictures in german
- other text in german*

*except for text displaying the daytime since these texts aren't read from the game datafiles but instead are part of ScummVM itself (modified Windows ScummVM version fixes this issue)

The datafiles set is usable by any ScummVM version supporting VOYEUR.
For Windows I've created a slightly modified ScummVM version that also displays daytime text in german.
The datafiles set is still detected as english version by ScummVM since I haven't touched the detection code.

For copyright reasons I can't upload this datafile set of course. But I've created a setup that merges the english VOYEUR DOS version and the german VOYEUR CD-I version (you do need both) to the german datafiles set: Link

I've tried to understand the info comming with ScummVM about copying, editing & distributing. And I hope I am allowed to provide this slightly modified Windows version: Link
Last edited by Bakhtosh on Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:50 pm, edited 4 times in total.
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Re: German VOYEUR version

Post by criezy »

Bakhtosh wrote:I've tried to understand the info comming with ScummVM about copying, editing & distributing. And I hope I am allowed to provide this slightly modified Windows version: Link
You are, but you should provide the modified source code, for example either included in the package, or more simply by giving a link to your fork on GitHub with the modified source code (if you have one).
Bakhtosh
Got a warning

Post by Bakhtosh »

Ok - here are the source files I've modified: Link

I only did a few changes:
- changed predefined strings/values (english text to german text)
- changed the way the gametime is displayed (AM/PM system to 24h system) while not changing gametime itself
- changed the text position for the ingame computer because the german font is higher

I am barely good enough to understand a lot of the ScummVM source code and to create a few command line tools to extract data from or insert data to resource files or to remux video files like the rl2 videos. That way I created the german VOYEUR datafiles set for ScummVM and made the mentioned changes to ScummVM. So I don't have my own ScummVM fork on GitHub. ;)

P.S.:
I've also uploaded a Textfile with a detailed list of changes: Link