Violence in Gnap

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

CaptainJei

Violence in Gnap

Post by CaptainJei »

So, I started watching a let's-play of Gnap to see if I might want to track it down, and I have to say that what happens when clicking on the group of frightened pigs at the beginning is one of the most disturbing things I've ever seen in an adventure game. It really caught me off guard and put me off from wanting to track down and play the game. What's worse is that apparently later in the game you have to basically bloodily murder a guy (whose minding his own business fixing his car) in front of his son in order to get a wrench or something like that. Ugh.

And don't get me wrong; I certainly don't mind violence, even graphic violence, in the right context. (DreamWeb and Hotline: Miami are two of my favorite games, for instance). But given the context there's something that comes across as particularly cruel in Gnap.

Just wanted to vent. Feel free to disagree/agree/ignore.
Mim

Post by Mim »

I played the game and agree. I also do not mind violence or dark humor in games but some scenes in this game are just disgusting. The humor seemed to me rather immature than funny while puzzles varies from mediocre to frustrating. Graphics is nice but not exceptional. Overall I would not recommend to play it.
Strangerke
ScummVM Developer

Post by Strangerke »

There's also some pretty gore scenes in Hopkins. What would you suggest? A popup when you start the game to mention it contains mature content or Something generic like that?
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

Seeing how this upsets people, I would say this is the best reason to play the game. Highly recommended!
Mim

Post by Mim »

As I said, I don't mind violence in games, even Blood by Monolith is among my favorites. There is plenty of gore and violence in this game, but player must kill only the aggressive enemies in order to progress, not civilians with hands up. Also I don't think that something upsetting is automatically worth of recommendation, there should be better reasons.
Mim

Post by Mim »

Strangerke wrote:There's also some pretty gore scenes in Hopkins. What would you suggest? A popup when you start the game to mention it contains mature content or Something generic like that?
Hard to tell. But maybe such popup (not too annoying, so only in first run after the instalation) would not be a bad idea for games as Gnap, Hopkins or Phantasmagoria.
tsoliman
ScummVM Developer

Post by tsoliman »

Mim wrote:
Strangerke wrote:There's also some pretty gore scenes in Hopkins. What would you suggest? A popup when you start the game to mention it contains mature content or Something generic like that?
Hard to tell. But maybe such popup (not too annoying, so only in first run after the instalation) would not be a bad idea for games as Gnap, Hopkins or Phantasmagoria.
I guess I don't understand who it would be useful to? It's not as if someone would accidentally buy one of these games, extract data files, add it to ScummVM, launch it, only to find out that it was too violent? :roll:

It seems like the store should put these warnings. GOG already has a warning on the bottom of the page for Phantasmagoria. Gnap and Hopkins aren't available digitally but I assume someone hunting for them knows what they're getting?
CaptainJei

Post by CaptainJei »

I'm not really in favor of content warning pop-ups in ScummVM, but I'll admit I didn't know what I was getting into when I started up Gnap, and I just wanted to vent a bit. The game has a deceptively cutesy style, and then all of a sudden it's delving into graphic animal cruelty. (And apparently does so again later during a driving sequence where you have to run over animals on the highway).

I personally found it extremely upsetting, so complaining about it here probably made me feel a little better, and maybe it'll warn others who aren't up for playing that sort of game. 0.5 stars out of 4. Would not recommend.

I also think Hopkins is pretty vile, but at least in that case I knew what I was getting into.
tsoliman
ScummVM Developer

Post by tsoliman »

CaptainJei wrote: ... but I'll admit I didn't know what I was getting into when I started up Gnap
I'm curious: Where did you find it? I've been unsuccessfully looking for a copy.
CaptainJei

Post by CaptainJei »

A friend of mine from Germany loaned me his copy. He'd actually bought it when it was released. If it were mine to give I'd be happy to mail it to you and get it off my hands.

If I come across another when I do one of my perennial game searches, I'll make sure to let you know.
tsoliman
ScummVM Developer

Post by tsoliman »

Thanks!
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

tsoliman wrote:
CaptainJei wrote: ... but I'll admit I didn't know what I was getting into when I started up Gnap
I'm curious: Where did you find it? I've been unsuccessfully looking for a copy.
There are a few copies on geman Amazon available...
Reckless

Post by Reckless »

Gnap is a funny game. Sometimes it's sold using its other title of "U.F.O.s". It's a game and I can't see any issue with the scenes mentioned.
CaptainJei

Post by CaptainJei »

Raziel wrote: There are a few copies on geman Amazon available...
Oh, they're not too expensive either!