ScummVM logo Forum Index - ScummVM website - Contact us - Buy Supported Games: GOG.com Rules - Search - Register - Login curved edge
Folder Forum Index > General Discussion > The Digitization Of Sierra Classics Initiative (TDOSCI)
The Digitization Of Sierra Classics Initiative (TDOSCI)
  Author    Thread Reply to topic
CTxCB



Joined: 13 Feb 2017
Posts: 3
The Digitization Of Sierra Classics Initiative (TDOSCI) 

http://tdosci.weebly.com -- I thought you guys might be interested in my website, it's been my pet project for a while. It's goal is bringing Sierra Classics (such as the Laura Bow, Aces and Hoyle games) to GOG.com for affordable prices using their 'Community Wishlist' feature and the help of the Sierra Community, instead of them being only on eBay for sometimes two to three figure amounts. This is done by having box art of titles not yet on GOG (supplied by Sierra Chest) with a click-through link to it's GOG Wishlist page.

The problem I could have with a project like this, though, is bringing a steady stream of traffic to the website. It's a one-time use sort of thing for a user, primarily because the site isn't prone to new content or regular updates. I see the usage being: 1) You go to the site. 2) You vote for the games via GOG Wishlist. 3) Optionally, social sharing... Then that's it, basically, you never return. To cover this, I'm looking to partner with other Sierra Sites. As in, have banners on each other's links page or something else feasible and free for both parties.

 Reply with quote  
Post Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:31 am 
 View user's profile Send private message
envisaged0ne



Joined: 01 Nov 2010
Posts: 142
Location: United States
 

This is SPAM. I got a spam email from this guy last week. How he got my email address I have no idea because I certainly don't give it out.

In the email he sent me, it said...

"There is a group dedicated to seeing that Sierra's older games are available at a reasonable price. Today, if you want to play some of the older games, the only way to find them is to pay very high prices buying them on Ebay. What I said in the paragraph above exceeds all that I know about this group. I have no affiliation with them but certainly support seeing our games live on!"

It was signed as Ken Williams. I replied, asking what he was talking about. That you can get a lot of popular Sierra Games through Steam or GOG, and cheaply through different compilations. But he didn't bother to reply back

 Reply with quote  
Post Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:12 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message
CTxCB



Joined: 13 Feb 2017
Posts: 3
 

quote:
Originally posted by envisaged0ne
This is SPAM. I got a spam email from this guy last week. How he got my email address I have no idea because I certainly don't give it out.

In the email he sent me, it said...

"There is a group dedicated to seeing that Sierra's older games are available at a reasonable price. Today, if you want to play some of the older games, the only way to find them is to pay very high prices buying them on Ebay. What I said in the paragraph above exceeds all that I know about this group. I have no affiliation with them but certainly support seeing our games live on!"

It was signed as Ken Williams. I replied, asking what he was talking about. That you can get a lot of popular Sierra Games through Steam or GOG, and cheaply through different compilations. But he didn't bother to reply back

Obviously Ken Williams is the co-founder and ex-CEO of Sierra, seeing as I manage his Discord Channel, he must have saw my post in there and made a post to his SierraGamers Newsletter, which members of SierraGamers and possibly Talkpot too, get. This isn't spam, I'm just trying to get this site out there... And ScummVM, which is an emulator for old DOS Games, is probably a good place to post about old classic Sierra Games. This isn't about the price of games already on Steam or GOG, this is about games such as Luara Bow: The Colonel's Bequest (as well as 30-ish other Sierra and Dynamix Games) which you can't get on Steam or GOG, and only from eBay for normally around $50-100, the early Sierra Stuff such as Mystery House is more like $300.
 Reply with quote  
Post Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:39 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message
envisaged0ne



Joined: 01 Nov 2010
Posts: 142
Location: United States
 

You can get the Kings Quest Collection that comes with Mystery House on ebay for $4.99 (I own the collection). It also comes with the Laura Bow Game.

And I'm not subscribed to his newsletter

 Reply with quote  
Post Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:49 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message
CTxCB



Joined: 13 Feb 2017
Posts: 3
 

quote:
Originally posted by envisaged0ne
You can get the Kings Quest Collection that comes with Mystery House on ebay for $4.99 (I own the collection). It also comes with the Laura Bow Game.

And I'm not subscribed to his newsletter

I have no idea how you got that email then. But this movement is also about these games being available digitally, as in, not something you have to buy and wait for it to come to your house. Also, digital versions usually come with DOSBox pre-configured and pre-optimised for that game.
 Reply with quote  
Post Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:34 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message
m_kiewitz
ScummVM Developer


Joined: 01 Dec 2009
Posts: 155
Location: Daventry
 

quote:
Originally posted by CTxCB
this is about games such as Luara Bow: The Colonel's Bequest (as well as 30-ish other Sierra and Dynamix Games) which you can't get on Steam or GOG


Is this some bad/good luck in your case?

Colonel's Bequest on GOG
https://www.gog.com/game/the_colonels_bequest

Dagger of Amon Ra on GOG
https://www.gog.com/game/the_dagger_of_amon_ra


quote:
only from eBay for normally around $50-100


I buy plenty of Sierra games and I spent $50 once for Gabriel Knight 1 / the really rare Mac version, I definitely never spent $100 ever and I only buy CIB.


quote:
the early Sierra Stuff such as Mystery House is more like $300.


Those are really rare collector's items. I'm not surprised at all. I doubt that it's really about the game (digital data itself), but about the physical items.
 Reply with quote  
Post Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:39 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message
Collector



Joined: 30 Oct 2005
Posts: 528
 

quote:
Originally posted by m_kiewitz
Those are really rare collector's items. I'm not surprised at all. I doubt that it's really about the game (digital data itself), but about the physical items.

And most of the Hi-Res Adventures are also available on the KQ Collection Series and the RWA.
 Reply with quote  
Post Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:54 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
  Display posts from previous:      
Reply to topic

Forum Jump:
 



Forum Rules:
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

 

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2006 phpBB Group
Forum design by ScummVM team, icons by raina
curved edge   curved edge