Drascula - Bugs in original game or only in ScummVM?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Peter

Drascula - Bugs in original game or only in ScummVM?

Post by Peter »

I just played through Drascula: The Vampire Strikes Back on ScummVM 1.9.0. I had a good time but noticed two bugs.

The first one is at the beginning of the game, after speaking to the bartender and meeting BJ and Drascula upstairs. Before you can visit the hut where von Braun lives you need to ask the drunkard about where to find him. The problem is that there is a bug preventing you from speaking to the drunkard more than once so if you say goodbye before asking there is no way to visit the hut.

The second one is in Drascula's castle. I'm sure some will not perceive it as a bug and it might very well have been in the original game but I think it was very inconsistent and not something you would expect. After trying everything (I mean literally everything with everything in all rooms except for maybe a few things in the dark room and the way leading to the dead end with a sign) I finally gave up and looked it up online. What I had missed was that I was supposed to close a door to find something behind it. It had actually crossed my mind because it looked like something you might want to do but there were no text showing when the cursor was placed on top of it as is the case with all other interactive elements of the game so how was I supposed to know? To make things worse he didn't even give a default response when trying something else (e.g. look) and you had to click on the opening. Clicking on the actual door will not work.

This is in no way meant to be a complaint to ScummVM. I see you have made tremendous progress with this game since older versions. It's just that I hate bugs in adventure games. If I see one bug I have a hard time trusting the game. If I don't trust the game I feel less motivated to spend hours looking for a solution because I'm afraid there might not be a solution.
JohnnyLurg

Post by JohnnyLurg »

All I know is that the first few times I played Drascula, a song ("Nurture My Pig" by Reverend Horton Heat) played during the opening cutscene. I realized that it was because I had an MP3 of it in the same folder as the game, but I still think it is strange that an MP3 file would play during the game.
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Re: Drascula - Bugs in original game or only in ScummVM?

Post by criezy »

Peter wrote:The first one is at the beginning of the game, after speaking to the bartender and meeting BJ and Drascula upstairs. Before you can visit the hut where von Braun lives you need to ask the drunkard about where to find him. The problem is that there is a bug preventing you from speaking to the drunkard more than once so if you say goodbye before asking there is no way to visit the hut.
I just checked with the original source code and it appears that the original game worked correctly, and that we introduced this bug when porting the code to ScummVM. I just pushed a fix for it, so it should work in the next ScummVM release. Thank you for reporting it.

I will try to have a look at the second issue this weekend.
Peter

Post by Peter »

JohnnyLurg wrote:All I know is that the first few times I played Drascula, a song ("Nurture My Pig" by Reverend Horton Heat) played during the opening cutscene. I realized that it was because I had an MP3 of it in the same folder as the game, but I still think it is strange that an MP3 file would play during the game.
What did a song by Reverend Horton Heat do in the Dracula folder? Sounds like someone was playing a joke on you. ;)
criezy wrote:I just checked with the original source code and it appears that the original game worked correctly, and that we introduced this bug when porting the code to ScummVM. I just pushed a fix for it, so it should work in the next ScummVM release. Thank you for reporting it.
And thank you for fixing it.
criezy wrote:I will try to have a look at the second issue this weekend.
I just realized, many other doors in the game can be closed in the same way I described above, even though it's not necessary. It seems like open doors (that you can walk through) is its own type of thing. A closed door on the other hand is more like any other interactive object and always shows the text "door" when you place the cursor over it.