ScummBR Translations

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Rafael_GC

ScummBR Translations

Post by Rafael_GC »

Recently we opened the first forum-site about game translations from english to portuguse, the ScummBR. I'm the founding member and I hope to get more and more collaborators. In time, I believe the things will happen.

All of you guys are invited to go there and take a look inside and comment here about the design, because the texts you'll mainly not going to understand anyway... ^^

http://www.scummbr.kit.net/

Well ScummVM folks, I'm gonna ned your help. We're willing to translate as much adventure games we can, and among them we want to finish first those which are emulated by SVM. Thus, I want to know if I can count on you to explain te me if it is possible extracting scripts (lines and texts) from these games: Inherit the Earth, Fatty Bear's Birthday Surprise, Kyrandia 1, Flight of the Amazon Queen and some others...

You deal wit hthose games programming, so I believe that someone of you know an easy way to extract a TXT and patching it back to the game later. In case anyone can help us, we from ScummBR and all the portuguese speaker community will be very thankful ^^

clem

Re: ScummBR Translations

Post by clem »

Rafael_GC wrote: Well ScummVM folks, I'm gonna ned your help. We're willing to translate as much adventure games we can, and among them we want to finish first those which are emulated by SVM. Thus, I want to know if I can count on you to explain te me if it is possible extracting scripts (lines and texts) from these games: Inherit the Earth, Fatty Bear's Birthday Surprise, Kyrandia 1, Flight of the Amazon Queen and some others...

You deal wit hthose games programming, so I believe that someone of you know an easy way to extract a TXT and patching it back to the game later. In case anyone can help us, we from ScummBR and all the portuguese speaker community will be very thankful ^^

at least patching kyra should be quite trivial, since the strings are separated from the script opcodes - by editing the header longer strings may be inserted easily (all ingame text is saved in the .emc files, menu strings are in the datafile though)

clem
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

One main thing which we are concerned is that all fantranslations have to be distributed as patches. I.e. no copyrighted material should be distributed on those sites. Otherwise you will get no support from ScummVM Team.

Also we will not add md5s of fantanslated games to SCUMM engine, as we have other means for that, particularly target_md5 command line switch/ini file entry or target_md5.txt file in your game directory. That will let you be sure that every version of your translation works and we in turn do not have to add md5s for each variant. See this thread for details.

You may consider contaction Joachim Eberhard who has contacts in German translation team, he is registered on this board. He knows which tools to use for game translation, how to release your translation in acceptable way, etc. Additionally I have contacts in Russian translation team who translated Simon, have some tools for Gobliiins translation and other stuff.

Eugene
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

sev wrote:Also we will not add md5s of fantanslated games to SCUMM engine, as we have other means for that, particularly target_md5 command line switch/ini file entry or target_md5.txt file in your game directory. That will let you be sure that every version of your translation works and we in turn do not have to add md5s for each variant. See this thread for details.
Actually, that's not correct any more (and I stated that in the thread you point to, too :-). We do not support target_md5 anymore, in any form IIRC it was added after 0.8.2, too, so it was never really documented nor used in a released version.

Background: It's simply not needed anymore with the new detector. At least so far I only got positive feedback, nobody reported any failures so far.

There might be problems with some of the HE games (like Fatty Bear), since the auto detector currently has no means to distinguish the HE subversions, So far nobody complained, hence I have to assume that none exist at this point :-). If anybody runs into problems with this, though, it would be easy enough to enhance the autodetector accordingly.

Of course, all this applies only to SCUMM games (including all HE games), no other engine supported target_md5 so far (and I still dislike target_md5 a lot, if cures the symptoms, not the disease. But of course it does so in a very easy to implement fashion).
Rafael_GC

translate Kyrandia and Fatty Bear

Post by Rafael_GC »

Indeed, we from ScummBR are totally against piracy of full games!

We're willing to translate Kyrandia1. I fear I didn't get it so clearly what you said about Kyrandia, for I don't understand much of programming, but grammar and translation ^^

I've already contacted joachimeberhard, and waiting for an answer. But I think he is only engaged to LucasArts games, and I have resources for that already. My aim now is extract the other strings from the other games emulated by ScummVM.

Regarding Kyrandia and Fatty Bear, could someone in there tell me better how to extract the games texts??? ^^

Thanks a lot for you all

[]RafaelGC = ScummBR
djsouza

Post by djsouza »

Hey there, everyone! Thanks for all the help!

I'm also one of the members of the ScummBR team of portuguese translations. I've translated the Maniac Mansion Deluxe game and I'm working on the translation of Sam & Max and the first Monkey Island games.

Just like Rafael already said, we're only providing players with translation PATCHES, absolutely NO FULL GAMES (aka warez) will be available for download at our site.

We've done a lot to support the brazilian adventure community already, and we're even getting lots of visits a day, even from people in Portugal, We're reaching a bigger public every day.

Brazilian game distributors stopped supporting translated adventures a long time ago, only one or two per year IF we're lucky.

So it's very important to us your help, anyone who has to knowledge to help our team and is willing to share this knowledge with us is truly appreciated.
IUNNAMED

Kyrandia 1 .EMC format

Post by IUNNAMED »

Hello all!
Great thing you do!
I want to translate Kyrandia 1 to Russian and need the .EMC file specs (font is already repainted). Where I can find it?
Thanks for any help!
Good luck!

Best regards,
UNNAMED
clem

Re: Kyrandia 1 .EMC format

Post by clem »

IUNNAMED wrote:I want to translate Kyrandia 1 to Russian
weird enough this is the only fan translation available by now, has been available for years :)
IUNNAMED

Re: Kyrandia 1 .EMC format

Post by IUNNAMED »

clem wrote:weird enough this is the only fan translation available by now, has been available for years :)
I know - that translation by Taras Katkov. But that translation is not so pretty as wish. He's been restricted by length of string - no longer than original.
Is it possible to look .EMC format specs anywhere?..
Thanks.

P.S. Font in this translation is damaged - not all fields rewritten correctly.
djsouza

Post by djsouza »

Hey, there! I'm proud to announce the release of the brazilian translation of Sam & Max Hit the Road:

http://z15.invisionfree.com/ScummBR_For ... getnewpost

We're doing our best to keep adventure gaming alive among brazilian gamers. It's very rare to get new releases in portuguese nowadays...

Anyone out there have further tips on how to translate Kyrandia 1?
saulob

Post by saulob »

Hey guys, no news about Kyrandia ?!

I found how to extract the .pak files. But no luck on the text files :(