Can screenshots be saved as something other than bitmaps?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Nowhere Girl

Can screenshots be saved as something other than bitmaps?

Post by Nowhere Girl »

I have just a little question. I don't like bitmaps. 1. They are huge. Usually saving the same screenshot as PNG compresses the file... some 60-70% in case of newer games with more sophisticated graphics ("The Dig", for example) and more than 90%, if I remember well, in case of older games, especially with EGA graphics.
2. I run games through D-Fend Reloaded + Scumm VM when required. I just like D-Fend Reloaded. However, it doesn't display bitmap screenshots well - full images are OK, but all thumbnails look like the first screenshot.
Can I change Scumm VM settings to make it save screenshots as PNG instead of bitmaps?

Another question about something else. Let's say I made 4 screenshots in D-Fend Reloaded (Ctrl-F5), deleted screenshot no. 3 and made another one. The new screenshot will be saved as (file name)_004, so it will be last. You don't have to know D-Fend Reloaded, I'm just describing a good program feature for comparison purposes.
Let's say I made 4 screenshots in Scumm VM (Als-S), deleted screenshot np. 3 and made another one. The new screenshot will be saved as scummvm00002 (replaces the deleted one), so it will be third. It's an option I very much dislike because it basically precluded deleting any screenshots in Scumm VM (and I won't have much free space until I get my dream desktop computer, hopefully for Christmas this year) until I finish the game and the screenshot selection process - if I delete any screenshots, I will have trouble knowing which one was saved at what point. Can I change Scumm VM setting to make it save screenshots as [last screenshot name + 1], not [first free slot]?