Animation speed in Lucasfilm games

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

mindphaser

Animation speed in Lucasfilm games

Post by mindphaser »

Dear ScummVM experts,
I'm new to this forum (thanks for accepting me!) and have to start right away with a technical question.

I've just started to play Monkey Island 1 and Loom again in ScummVM and have noticed that some (not all!) of the animations run way too fast compared to the speed they had on the original versions. At least to me this is one of the effects that get really annoying once they've been noticed and it makes the games look unneccessarily hectic... My first thought was that this might have something to do with the subtitle speed but obviously that's not the case.

A few examples:
- The "messenger nymph" at the beginning of Loom rises from the village at ridiculous speed (all versions)
- At the Scumm Bar in Monkey Island 1 the "very important pirates" are fidgeting around like people in an old silent movie which run too fast when shown on TV (all versions), the same is true about the voodoo lady. This is especially noticeable when she talks about the "giant monkey": Normally she would lift her arms up for 1-2 seconds as she talks about it, here she takes them up and right down again. Her other "movements" look way too fast, too... ;)
- In the DOS and Amiga versions of Monkey Island 1 everything runs even faster which can be seen very well in the Scumm Bar, too: Just look at the speed at which the guy under the ceiling rotates...
- The two guys in the circus tent speed towards Guybrush at an incredible speed (all versions). I know that they talk and move a bit faster also on the original machines but not that fast...

I have compared the behaviour of the same Amiga versions in ScummVM and WinUAE - in WinUAE everything runs at normal speed.

Now my question is if there's a possibility in ScummVM to bring the animations down to normal speed. Helpful comments would be greatly appreciated - thanks a lot in advance!
envisaged0ne

Post by envisaged0ne »

Monkey Island plays at regular speed for me. Using regular default settings
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

mindphaser, which OS do you use and which ScummVM version?

Eugene
mindphaser

Post by mindphaser »

Sorry - Windows 7 / ScummVM 1.8.0
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Perhaps you've toggled Fast Mode (Control - F) or Really Fast Mode (Control - G) somehow?
LogicDeLuxe

Re: Animation speed in Lucasfilm games

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

mindphaser wrote:- The two guys in the circus tent speed towards Guybrush at an incredible speed (all versions).
That one is intended. It is scripted that way.
mindphaser

Post by mindphaser »

md5 wrote:Perhaps you've toggled Fast Mode (Control - F) or Really Fast Mode (Control - G) somehow?
No, it's running at normal speed.
LogicDeLuxe wrote:
mindphaser wrote:- The two guys in the circus tent speed towards Guybrush at an incredible speed (all versions).
Yes, they're moving quite fast on the real or emulated Amiga, too - but not that fast. I would really love to do a comparison video but unfortunately I have no clue of screen capturing and video cutting...
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

mindphaser wrote:
md5 wrote:Perhaps you've toggled Fast Mode (Control - F) or Really Fast Mode (Control - G) somehow?
No, it's running at normal speed.
LogicDeLuxe wrote:
Yes, they're moving quite fast on the real or emulated Amiga, too - but not that fast. I would really love to do a comparison video but unfortunately I have no clue of screen capturing and video cutting...
That's probably because of the machines (Amiga) overall (slow CPU) speed!?