ScummVM logo Forum Index - ScummVM website - Contact us - Buy Supported Games: GOG.com Rules - Search - Register - Login curved edge
Folder Forum Index > Help and Support > ScummVM 1.8.0 for PowerPC Mac? Goto page 1, 2  Next
ScummVM 1.8.0 for PowerPC Mac?
  Author    Thread Reply to topic
Shadow

ScummVM 1.8.0 for PowerPC Mac? 

I'd like to ask you, if there's a 1.8.0 PowerPC/Mac-Download available? Thanks for your help!

Post Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:30 pm 
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Re: ScummVM 1.8.0 for PowerPC Mac? 

quote:
Originally posted by Shadow
I'd like to ask you, if there's a 1.8.0 PowerPC/Mac-Download available? Thanks for your help!

There is not at this point. It is unclear whether there will be another Macintosh PowerPC release at this point.
Post Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:08 pm 
alesi

Sad news... just bought an eMac G4 for scummvm...

Post Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:28 pm 
ScummBoy

This are really sad news... :cry:

But I still hope, maybe you'll give us a last kind of farewell release :wink:

Post Sun May 29, 2016 8:21 pm 

sev
ScummVM Lead

quote:
Originally posted by ScummBoy

But I still hope, maybe you'll give us a last kind of farewell release Wink

It is unclear why you are asking LordHoto about this.

Historically the universal binaries were provided by Oystein Eftevaag aka vinterstum, who is not active for many months now.

Eugene
Post Sun May 29, 2016 9:36 pm 
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Hello,

I have a good news for you. I am the one compiling OS X releases now, and I have been working on bringing back PPC builds. I didn't want to comment before knowing if I would succeed or not, but I now have a build of ScummVM 1.8.1 for PowerPC macs and I need somebody to test it (I was only able to test it on an Intel mac with Rosetta). It should work on MacOS X 10.4 or more recent. Please try it and let me know if it works. If it does, it will be added to the download page.

Edit: it is now available on our download page

Last edited by criezy on Mon May 30, 2016 12:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Mon May 30, 2016 2:01 am 
ScummBoy

quote:
Originally posted by sev
It is unclear why you are asking LordHoto about this.

Historically the universal binaries were provided by Oystein Eftevaag aka vinterstum, who is not active for many months now.

Eugene

I'm sorry, such was not my intention.

quote:
Originally posted by criezy
Hello,

I have a good news for you. I am the one compiling OS X releases now, and I have been working on bringing back PPC builds. I didn't want to comment before knowing if I would succeed or not, but I now have a build of ScummVM 1.8.1 for PowerPC macs and I need somebody to test it (I was only able to test it on an Intel mac with Rosetta). It should work on MacOS X 10.4 or more recent. Please try it and let me know if it works. If it does, it will be added to the download page.

For now you can find it at: https://www.dropbox.com/s/y8f8wotw6boiszq/scummvm-1.8.1-macosx-ppc.dmg?dl=0

Thank you :D

I'm running your version with OS X 10.5.8 on a G4 Powerbook.
Fired up some compressed LucasArts games (Dott, Dig, Indy 4,...). Played around with CoreAudio, loaded a few SoundFonts - no trouble at all.
Also tested the new Beavis and Butt-head in Virtual Stupidity game for a few minutes - saved a state and loaded it with no issues so far.

A good release *thumbs up*
Post Mon May 30, 2016 11:55 am 

criezy
ScummVM Developer

Great! Thank you for confirming it works Very Happy

Post Mon May 30, 2016 12:10 pm 
fm2

iBook G3/800, Mac OS X 10.4.11. ScummVM 1.8.1 not started.

Post Mon May 30, 2016 8:53 pm 
DelX

Thank you so much! Works without any issues on my ibook G4 ppc on OSX 10.5.11

@fm2 you need to post more details, any error message or logs? Without it your post is pretty much pointless and does nothing to find the issue.

Regarding the previous poster, maybe it was compiled with flags for G4/ G5 CPUs? As far as I recall G3 CPUs had no altivec!? But the slow ppc machines can use any optimization they can get and it works beautiful here.

So nothing on the buildbot? But I'm happy the stable build is back, thank you so much!

Couldn't find commits on the osx ppc build and news don't mention it either, more details on what was wrong and how you fixed it would be appreciated.

On another topic, pswd reset for accounts on the forum are still broken and I suspect many potential posters give up when they can't get access to the forums with any of their many accounts (I by now must have 3 or 4) and their email adresses are already used so they can't make a new one on here either,...

Post Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:57 am 
criezy
ScummVM Developer

The issue with the PPC build was with the toolchain used to build it and not with the ScummVM source code. As the executable grew bigger with the addition of new engines it hit a limit and this caused relocation error when building the application. In theory the use of -mlongcall should have fixed this, but because of a bug in the compiler it was still not working.

For this release I used a more recent toolchain and it worked. The reason you didn't see any related commit is because there is none (since there was no change to the source code) and the reason it is not mentioned in the ScummVM 1.8.1 release news post is because at the time we wrote this post I didn't know if I would get a working one or not.

I will try to look at the issue on MacOS X 10.4 this week and hopefully I can find out what is wrong. But more information on the issue would definitely be welcome.

Post Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:28 am 
fm2

quote:
Originally posted by DelX
@fm2 you need to post more details, any error message or logs? Without it your post is pretty much pointless and does nothing to find the issue.

iBook G3/800 14", VRAM 32M, RAM expanded to 640M (max), Mac OS 10.4.11

ScummVM 1.4.1 - 1.7.0 OK, 1.8.1 not started. No messages. Logs? Where can I find the logs?
Post Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:07 pm 
criezy
ScummVM Developer

quote:
Originally posted by fm2
ScummVM 1.4.1 - 1.7.0 OK, 1.8.1 not started. No messages. Logs? Where can I find the logs?

Please have a look at FAQ 5.6 to see if that helps you find error messages.
Post Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:26 pm 
fm2

OK, I find it. No error messages in scummvm.log, only about successfully started/closed 1.7.0 version.

Post Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:21 am 
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Yes, I am not surprised that there is no message in the scummvm.log file since I suspect ScummVM fails to start before the point where it creates the log file.
What would be useful to me is if you get messages in Console.app (or when trying to start ScummVM from the terminal) as described in the second paragraph of the FAQ 5.6.

Post Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:34 pm 
Reply to topic