RIVEN: the sequel to Myst

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

legluondunet

RIVEN: the sequel to Myst

Post by legluondunet »

hello,

RIVEN: the sequel to Myst works great with ScummVM.
Only two things:
- no transition effect: on the original game, when you move on the right or on the left, there is a transition effect.
- pictures seems less polished than in the original game, more pixellated. Perrhaps the original game used some graphic filters?

Are the ScummVM team working on this game?

Regards.

LGDN.
Last edited by legluondunet on Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
envisaged0ne

Post by envisaged0ne »

These are all known issues & discussed before. Did you not notice the big warning notice when launching the game?
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

legluondunet

Post by legluondunet »

Thank you Digitall for your answer, that was exactly what I searched for.
bristolruth

Post by bristolruth »

Also came in here with the same question. Thanks for the link.
IntEmu

Re: RIVEN: the sequel to Myst

Post by IntEmu »

legluondunet wrote:hello,

RIVEN: the sequel to Myst works great with ScummVM.
Only two things:
- no transition effect: on the original game, when you move on the right or on the left, there is a transition effect.
- pictures seems less polished than in the original game, more pixellated. Perrhaps the original game used some graphic filters?

Are the ScummVM team working on this game?

Regards.

LGDN.
Thank you for your post because I was wondering about the video quality. I looked at the videos on my machine and also think the original game has a video filter. I also would like to see the transition effect implemented.

Can the ScummVM devs work on this? Thank you.
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

IntEmu: Please see http://www.scummvm.org/faq/#question.add-new-games

Feel free to send a code patch as we are open source.
Heleen

Post by Heleen »

Hi, I have the 5 cd windows version of Riven. I copied all the files from the scumm-list but still get the message that I miss data. I did the same with myst and that worked perfectly. I use the latest version: 1.19. So what do I do wrong? Thank you very much for your help.
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

Heleen: While Riven is completable, there are minor issues with the engine and it is not enabled for release builds currently. If you want to play Riven, you will need to use a Daily Development Testing build from:
http://scummvm.org/downloads/#daily
Heleen

Post by Heleen »

Thank you for the quick reply. I will try that.
visualdrome

Post by visualdrome »

Hello,
can someone save the game on Android devices? I can't!
Thanks for any help
Robot_Maker20

Post by Robot_Maker20 »

Regarding image quality, it looks very much as if Cyan used some kind of diamond-shaped dithering effect on the rendered still shots in Riven, which will probably have looked a lot better on contemporary CRT monitors than it does on modern flatscreens.

If we can find out what filter they used, un-dithering the images - effectively increasing their colour depth - might theoretically be relatively easy; if we have to guess, on the other hand, it'll probably be a LOT of work involving some heavy DSP.
stanto

Post by stanto »

Robot_Maker20 wrote:Regarding image quality, it looks very much as if Cyan used some kind of diamond-shaped dithering effect on the rendered still shots in Riven, which will probably have looked a lot better on contemporary CRT monitors than it does on modern flatscreens.

If we can find out what filter they used, un-dithering the images - effectively increasing their colour depth - might theoretically be relatively easy; if we have to guess, on the other hand, it'll probably be a LOT of work involving some heavy DSP.
Cyan have/had been pretty open about how they've done various parts of their games.

Here's some information on Myst:
http://cho.cyan.com/rawa/dither.html

And fans of the game have also tried to dissect it before:
https://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/4 ... rums/page2

Rather, more relevant to this discussion is this thread where people have looked into improving the graphical quality of Riven, perhaps now's a good time to revisit this:

http://community.starryexpanse.com/view ... p?f=5&t=24

The tool Riveal that is mentioned is here:
http://www.rshayter.com/riveal/

The quality of the graphics/video on each version of Riven differs. For example the 5 CD version is perhaps the lowest, however for an anniversary version of the game that was released on DVD, the video was re-compressed at a higher bitrate.
ReverendVader

Post by ReverendVader »

visualdrome wrote:Hello,
can someone save the game on Android devices? I can't!
Thanks for any help
Same issue here. The drop down menu doesn't activate when attempting to "click"/tap the top of the screen on Android.

On PC, the current way to get to the save menu is F5. (Used to be "Alt" on the older PC versions...)

Is there a workaround to save and restore games on an Android device while playing Riven? (Because everything else seems to be working great!)
dafioram

Post by dafioram »

I don't believe scummvm-2.0.0 android allows the users to save (pull up the gmm) unless they have a "menu" button or maybe a bluetooth/usb keyboard connected to their rooted device.