ScummVM Release 1.8.0 Testing is Starting

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

Vorph wrote:Hello,

sorry... at least some details I can give you.

I used a 32Bit Build of ScummVM - I did use a "handmade" MinGW build. I used a GIT Snapshot from February the 3rd at 8pm (CET). I did not post a Bug Report as I was not able to reproduce the issue.

I would take another go using the current daily build (gdb49761) - Are there any specific (audio) settings you would like me to use?

I would also like to give Maniac Mansion a go, I can offer:
- V2/DOS/German
- V2/DOS/English
- C64/English

just tell me which version you would prefer :)
For Maniac Mansion we look for V0/V1 versions. C64 should be V0. So that would be great to have tested.

Our change why we look for Discworld 1 tests is the new audio output for AdLib and MT-32 (either emulator or native). This is why we are interested in what you used. Do you remember the setting by chance?
albadross

Post by albadross »

LordHoto wrote:
albadross wrote:I have been working on the daily builds for quite a while now and have successfully got to the end of :

Zork Nemesis: The Forbidden Lands
Zork: Grand Inquisitor
The Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes: The Case of the Serrated Scalpel
The Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes: The Case of the Rose Tattoo

I have got at least halfway through and have submitted game-stopping bug reports (some of which are being looked at, as I write) for :

Amazon: Guardians of Eden
Broken Sword 2.5: The Return of the Templars

It looks as though 1.8.0 will be a humdinger!

Edit : All my games are PC versions run with Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit.
Can you please give more information about the game versions, i.e. language, whether they are CD or Floppy versions (if applicable)?

When reporting that you completed a game, please also give the exact version ScummVM shows in the launcher (and your platform, including whether you use a 32bit or 64bit build of ScummVM). For the version we are especially interested in the last 7 characters. For example, a version you can see is: "1.8.0pre89-gf37362b". Here we would be especially interested in "f37362b".
It can alterantively be obtained through the command line by passing --version to the ScummVM executable.

It would also be nice if you could tell whether you used multiple daily builds for playing through. Ideal would be if you used a single version of ScummVM for a single game, i.e. play whole game with "1.8.0pre89-gf37362b". If that is not possible, due to bugs etc., it would be very interesting for us to know the versions of all ScummVM builds you used while playing.
I am not sure how helpful I can be with the version numbers of ScummVM that I used for running these games. I had a period out of action towards the end of last year so I decided to catch up on a lot of old adventures games. So I was not keeping a record of the versions I used.

But I keep a very extensive collection of savegames for games I have completed and so I can tell when I completed a game or, for instance, when I was held up for a bug to be sorted out. I do not know if you can tell from my dates of savegames at the end of each game what version of ScummVM was available at the time but I will give them to you in case.

All played in one day

Zork Nemesis Finished 01/10/15 15:13
Zork Grand Inquisitor Finished 30/10/15 13:49

Played over a number of days as bugs had to be resolved

The Case of the Serrated Scalpel Finished 07/12/15 00:59
The Case of the Rose Tattoo Finished 19/12/15 13:56

Amazon - Guardians of Eden Finished 18/01/16 12:40
Broken Sword 2.5 Finished 09/02/16 17:50

All these saves were made on a Win64 system and I have been in the habit of getting the Win64 buildbot version every morning. One exception : with Amazon - GoE, bug #7024 was checked on the Feb 12 Win 32 daily build.

All are CD English versions with the obvious exception of Broken Sword 2.5 (downloaded from the website with English translation).
Vorph

Post by Vorph »

Discworld:

Audio Settings: Preferred Device MT32
Adlib emulator: <default>
Output rate: <default>

MT32 Device: MT32 Emulator

As I told you, I can give it another go - just tell me what settings you need.
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

albadross wrote:
LordHoto wrote:
albadross wrote:I have been working on the daily builds for quite a while now and have successfully got to the end of :

Zork Nemesis: The Forbidden Lands
Zork: Grand Inquisitor
The Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes: The Case of the Serrated Scalpel
The Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes: The Case of the Rose Tattoo

I have got at least halfway through and have submitted game-stopping bug reports (some of which are being looked at, as I write) for :

Amazon: Guardians of Eden
Broken Sword 2.5: The Return of the Templars

It looks as though 1.8.0 will be a humdinger!

Edit : All my games are PC versions run with Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit.
Can you please give more information about the game versions, i.e. language, whether they are CD or Floppy versions (if applicable)?

When reporting that you completed a game, please also give the exact version ScummVM shows in the launcher (and your platform, including whether you use a 32bit or 64bit build of ScummVM). For the version we are especially interested in the last 7 characters. For example, a version you can see is: "1.8.0pre89-gf37362b". Here we would be especially interested in "f37362b".
It can alterantively be obtained through the command line by passing --version to the ScummVM executable.

It would also be nice if you could tell whether you used multiple daily builds for playing through. Ideal would be if you used a single version of ScummVM for a single game, i.e. play whole game with "1.8.0pre89-gf37362b". If that is not possible, due to bugs etc., it would be very interesting for us to know the versions of all ScummVM builds you used while playing.
I am not sure how helpful I can be with the version numbers of ScummVM that I used for running these games. I had a period out of action towards the end of last year so I decided to catch up on a lot of old adventures games. So I was not keeping a record of the versions I used.

But I keep a very extensive collection of savegames for games I have completed and so I can tell when I completed a game or, for instance, when I was held up for a bug to be sorted out. I do not know if you can tell from my dates of savegames at the end of each game what version of ScummVM was available at the time but I will give them to you in case.

All played in one day

Zork Nemesis Finished 01/10/15 15:13
Zork Grand Inquisitor Finished 30/10/15 13:49

Played over a number of days as bugs had to be resolved

The Case of the Serrated Scalpel Finished 07/12/15 00:59
The Case of the Rose Tattoo Finished 19/12/15 13:56

Amazon - Guardians of Eden Finished 18/01/16 12:40
Broken Sword 2.5 Finished 09/02/16 17:50

All these saves were made on a Win64 system and I have been in the habit of getting the Win64 buildbot version every morning. One exception : with Amazon - GoE, bug #7024 was checked on the Feb 12 Win 32 daily build.

All are CD English versions with the obvious exception of Broken Sword 2.5 (downloaded from the website with English translation).
Thanks!
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

Vorph wrote:Discworld:

Audio Settings: Preferred Device MT32
Adlib emulator: <default>
Output rate: <default>

MT32 Device: MT32 Emulator

As I told you, I can give it another go - just tell me what settings you need.
AdLib would be intersting for Discworld 1. Thanks!
Vorph

Post by Vorph »

Game: Maniac Mansion
Version: C64/English (Detected as V1)

ScummVM: 1.8.0pre100-gdb49761 (Win32)

Completable - no regressions (Michael Path)

There one thing that might be worth noticing... I am not aware of any way to skip the intro sequence in (any) version of the game, running in an original environment (C64 (V1) or DOS PC (V2)). In ScummVM this can be achieved by pressing the ESC Key. In MM V2 the Intro Music is stopped - the C64 Version played the music to the very end even though I was already playing... After the music stopped all sound was muted. I can file a bug report if necessary
KeithS

Post by KeithS »

Game Tested: Space Quest II - Amiga version
ScummVM: Branch-1-8 / Feb 14, 2016 - Self compiled
OS: Atari/FreeMiNT (m68020-60) - I am the port maintainer

Big Endian CPU if anyone cares.

Completed game without issue.
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

Vorph wrote:Game: Maniac Mansion
Version: C64/English (Detected as V1)

Completable - no regressions (Michael Path)

There one thing that might be worth noticing... I am not aware of any way to skip the intro sequence in (any) version of the game, running in an original environment (C64 (V1) or DOS PC (V2)). In ScummVM this can be achieved by pressing the ESC Key. In MM V2 the Intro Music is stopped - the C64 Version played the music to the very end even though I was already playing... After the music stopped all sound was muted. I can file a bug report if necessary
Thanks!

We allow skipping of cutscenes in more places IIRC. But you might want to report the music bits. That sounds odd to me.
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

KeithS wrote:Game Tested: Space Quest II - Amiga version
ScummVM: Branch-1-8 / Feb 14, 2016 - Self compiled
OS: Atari/FreeMiNT (m68020-60) - I am the port maintainer

Big Endian CPU if anyone cares.

Completed game without issue.
Thanks. Do you by chance remember the commit you used for building ScummVM?
Bloodbat

Post by Bloodbat »

I know Blue Force is not marked for testing, however it still has a bug: MT-32 music won't work: even if selected on the game properties screen Adlib music plays.
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

Bloodbat wrote:I know Blue Force is not marked for testing, however it still has a bug: MT-32 music won't work: even if selected on the game properties screen Adlib music plays.
Thanks for the report, although this isn't really a bug per se, but more simply missing functionality. None of the Tsunami Media games currently have explicit MT32 support. Since all the games were reversed engineered from scratch, we didn't have the experience to disassemble nor reimplement that functionality.
Bloodbat

Post by Bloodbat »

dreammaster wrote: Thanks for the report, although this isn't really a bug per se, but more simply missing functionality. None of the Tsunami Media games currently have explicit MT32 support. Since all the games were reversed engineered from scratch, we didn't have the experience to disassemble nor reimplement that functionality.
Ahh...I see...perhaps an update to the compatibility page stating that would be useful?
Bloodbat

Post by Bloodbat »

After reading somewhere here that Beavis and Butthead worked for someone under Linux, being the curious sort, I built my own ScummVM in openSuse Leap and...it does work, so the problem, probably, lies with the Windows build, having no modern theme under Linux, I thought that was a probable cause, so I resorted to it under Windows as well: it made no difference.
Vorph

Post by Vorph »

Game: Discworld
Version: CD/DOS/German
Sound: Adlib / DOSBox OPL

Completable - no regressions, minor graphic glitch filed as bug #7047
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

Vorph wrote:Game: Discworld
Version: CD/DOS/German