How to make Myst fully playable in ScummVM

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

bgK
ScummVM Developer

Post by bgK »

Thanks for your bug reports, they are very helpful. All these problems are now fixed, and will be available in the next development build.
rootfather
ScummVM Lead

Post by rootfather »

Great to see that you are working on the support for Myst. It's an amazing game and full support in ScummVM would be even more amazing :D
agiri

Post by agiri »

Hello, this looks like a bug report thread so I hope nobody minds me posting a problem in it~

Attempting to save game in Myst ~ Masterpiece Edition when OpenGL renderer (both with and without filtering) is used causes a crash with the following error spewed out to stderr:

Code: Select all

scummvm: graphics/scaler/thumbnail_intern.cpp:174: bool grabScreen565(Graphics::Surface*): Assertion `screen->format.bytesPerPixel == 1 || screen->format.bytesPerPixel == 2' failed.
ABRT/IOT trap
Using any other renderer makes it work properly.

Problem occurs in both Polish CD-ROM version of Myst ~ M.E. and GOG's English release.

It does not happen in Riven (again, tested both Polish DVD-ROM and GOG releases).

Tested version: ScummVM 1.9.0git1141-g44cdee0, it would happen earlier too (though back then I was under impression that saving doesn't work at all)
Compiled with: GCC 5.3.0
Resolution: 1920x1080, switching to 1024x768 for 4:3 aspect doesn't fix anything

---

Speaking of the Polish version of Myst, using the Show map button in F5 menu causes the game to pop up the debug console and return this error:

Code: Select all

WARNING: cachePreload: Could not find a 'PICT' resource with ID 26ce!
Could not decode Myst bitmap!
Old Putz

Re: How to make Myst fully playable in ScummVM

Post by Old Putz »

Apologies in advance for the Zombie thread- I'm an old fart who doesn't understand 90% of the jargon on this forum, and am just trying to get Myst to work on my Windows 10 laptop. I followed the directions re: creating a folder with the required data and video files, and the game runs and navigates just like it was 1993.

The problem I'm having is that none of the File Menu commands work ((ALT D to save, ALT F4 to exit, etc.) When I try to save a game using either the commands posted on this forum, or in the original game instructions, I get a black screen with a bunch of code that's telling me I've saved a screen image (there is now a "ScummVM screenshots" folder in my pictures file on my hard drive). I have managed to exit the game a couple of times, which just means I have to start from the beginning again.

Similarly, I can't get the Options Menu commands (ALT Z for zip mode, ALT D to drop pages, etc.) to work, either.

I've dug around a bit, and this thread is as close as I've come to finding the answers I'm looking for, but it looks like these issues were solved quite some time ago. Is there something "special" about Windows 10? Looking for help that can be understood by an analog era old geezer who works in meatspace with hand tools and hardware.

Thanks

criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

You can use F5 (with no modifier key) to display the game menu to save, load, toggle zip mode, and more.
You can also use Ctrl-F5 for the ScummVM menu, which also allows to load and save, as well as quit the game.

At least those work for me with the Masterpiece Edition.

I can confirm that the original keyboard shortcuts, such as Alt+R and Alt+S for loading and saving respectively, do not seem to work. I think it would be good to support them, so you are welcome to create a request on https://bugs.scummvm.org/ for this.
Old Putz

Post by Old Putz »

Okay, I've figured out why these functions weren't working, and it's kind of embarrassing, but I'm going to enshrine my bone-headedness here for eternity, just in case someone else is similarly cursed with the ravages of age-related ineptitude.
I've been using computers for 4 decades now. And they've always had "control" and "alt" keys that are used in conjunction with the "function" keys. They say that you don't see what you're not looking for (ask any motorcyclist). So maybe it isn't an implication of my computer skills that I failed to notice the presence of an additional "function" key on my Dell laptop. That's right, I need to press and hold the "function" key in order to make the various "F" keys work. So bringing up the game's menu requires not "alt F5" or even just plain old "F5" but "function F5".
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

Ah yes. When I got my laptop a few years ago I remember it took me a few weeks (months?) to notice that small fn key on the keyboard and understand why the functions keys where not working as expected ;-)