How to make Myst fully playable in ScummVM

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

lillemask

How to make Myst fully playable in ScummVM

Post by lillemask »

For some time now ScummVM has been the simplest and smoothest way to play Myst on a modern computer. The only thing not working is the fortress rotation holo-simulator in the mechanical age. However, this can be worked around.

So far I have only tested this on the ME version, but it might work with the original version as well.

The problematic file is the movie HOLO.MOV in the folder QTW/MECH/

By opening this in an old (registered) version of Quicktime Pro (I used 4.1.2) and exporting it to 2x CD-ROM (Cinepak video), it will be converted to a file that ScummVM can play. Just replace the old HOLO.MOV with the new exported file of the same name, and everything works as intended.

Apparently the option to enable "legacy encoders" in Quicktime was removed in OS X 10.6, but there might be other programs out there that can convert Quicktime files.
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

Nice. Is this also the issue with the Catherine cutscenes in Riven?
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

MusicallyInspired wrote:Nice. Is this also the issue with the Catherine cutscenes in Riven?
What issue with Catherine cutscenes?
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

With there not being any sound....or was that fixed?
MrPunchy

Post by MrPunchy »

Any freeware tool for do it?
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

The issue with those movies is the lack of Edit List support in our Quicktime Decoder which those video files use. Without this, it is not possible to play those files in reverse rates which the holosimulator code requires giving these warnings:
"WARNING: Cannot set custom rate to backwards!
WARNING: Can only set reverse without edits!"

If you want to try implementing this, see the following:
https://developer.apple.com/library/mac ... qtff2.html

http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Mohawk/TODO#Main_TODO
https://github.com/scummvm/scummvm/blob ... l.cpp#L981

https://github.com/scummvm/scummvm/blob ... r.cpp#L448
https://github.com/scummvm/scummvm/blob ... r.cpp#L508

The workaround may work as Cinepak would probably allow arbitary playback including reverse rates... You should be able to use a ffmpeg / avconv to do a conversion to allow this.
monkeymadness

Post by monkeymadness »

I have looked through the forums and have not been able to find an answer to my question. I have been watching MYST for a while and finally saw that it is being worked on. I installed the development build and the game runs great. I was unable to find a way to save the game (the normal F5 didn't work). It would be understandable if the game cannpt save at this time, but a member posted that it was possible, so I would like to know if that is in fact true and potentially the command that can be used. If this were possible, then I would love to play through this game, report bugs, and help out on it. I have worked with the people over at ResidualVM with EFMI through github, but it seems like the bugs for ScummVM use SourceForge or is it now easyname?
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

Firstly, the active bug tracker is still on SourceForge currently, though there are plans to migrate from this. When this happens, all tickets are likely to be transferred.

Secondly, F5 in the Mohawk Myst engine brings up the game engine menu for changing Zip mode, Drop Page etc.

To Load and Save, you can use the GMM (Global Main Menu) which is available in all ScummVM games. This is displayed by pressing CTRL-F5.

I suggest that you read the README for future reference:
https://github.com/scummvm/scummvm/blob ... ADME#L1391
lillemask

Post by lillemask »

With the latest Git version, this workaround is no longer needed. Myst support is pretty complete now, as far as I can tell.
MrPunchy

Post by MrPunchy »

lillemask wrote:With the latest Git version, this workaround is no longer needed. Myst support is pretty complete now, as far as I can tell.
Oh my god!! Is true??
lillemask

Post by lillemask »

It seems so. I've seen a couple of visual glitches, but haven't been able to compare with the original. I think you need to compile it yourself at the moment, as it doesn't seem to be enabled in the "nightly builds".
monkeymadness

Post by monkeymadness »

Yeah, I just played through the entire game. It worked great! Mine comes from one of the daily builds. The only issues I had were that sometimes when you went from one island to another, the cursor would disappear sometimes (1 out of every 5 times). And the second issue was if you ever clicked on an objects that animate and the animation could not be completed (ie an elevator that was not turned on or a key that would not unlock anything), then the game would freeze and scummvm would stop responding. Luckily the animations worked when they were a success. A couple of saves helped me finish whenever the game messed up.
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

monkeymadness: Could you please indicate what daily build you were using (The date and build id is on the launcher page below the ScummVM logo)?

Could you also indicate where you saw the "lost cursor" and animations causing scummvm lockup please within Myst?

This information will allow the engine developers to track down and fix these issues, if not already fixed.
monkeymadness

Post by monkeymadness »

ScummVM 1.8.0git6304-gfa66b82 (Jan 29 2016 04:08:53)

Four definite bugs (with their Bug reports):

1. Key in lighthouse (Stoneship)

"Assertion failed!
Program: C:\Program files <x86>\ScummVM\scummvm.exe
File:../../src-master/src/common/rational.cpp, Line 241
Expression: _num ! = 0
This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information."

2. Weird contraption in Achenar's room (rose to skull), if not turned on (Stoneship)

"Assertion failed!
File:../../src-master/src/engines/mohawk/video.cpp, Line 117
Expression: _video
This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information."

3. Switch up in the trees (Channelwood)

"Assertion failed!
File:../../src-master/src/common/rational.cpp, Line 241
Expression: _num ! = 0

4. Contraption in Clocktower (Myst)

After you solve the puzzle wrong and the weight is on the bottom of the floor, when you try to reset, the game straight up freezes. No log error.

I swear I had the same thing happen when using an unpowered elevator in Channelwood, but I could not reproduce. The cursor seemed to happen when going to another island through one of the books. It didn't happen every time and I could sometimes bring it up after with Alt-Enter (x2) or left clicking. Seems to me that the cursor is somehow being hidden when there is a location switch. Let me know if you need anything else.
m_kiewitz
ScummVM Developer

Post by m_kiewitz »

nvm