ScummVM 1.8.0-git for iOS 7+ available on GitHub

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's iPhone port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

bSr43
ScummVM Porter

Post by bSr43 »

GottOgGamalt wrote:
sofakng wrote:Can anybody try the Curse Of Monkey Island (COMI) ?

For some reason, ScummVM crashes after I try to start the game.
Also crashes here, iPhone 6 plus. (iOS 9.2)
Compiled using xcode gui. Followed instructions as given in the readme.

Tried 3 games. All crash just after launch.
It would be interesting to see where the application crashes! Could you please run the application from Xcode, and tell me, in the code, where the application stops?
bSr43
ScummVM Porter

Post by bSr43 »

Anyway, the great news is that this branch has been merged into the official repository!
This branch will now be deleted from GitHub :)
atombone1180

xcode issue?

Post by atombone1180 »

I am quite new to sideloading in ios9 via xcode. I have successfully used it to sideload provenance but im having trouble with the scummvm port. Source Control > Check Out > (i enter in https://github.com/scummvm/scummvm.git) I select the master branch and tell it where to downlaod to. the download seems to get slow at 191.9mb, then finishes, xcode seems to close and my mac opens a finder window to where xcode downloaded scummvm. It doesnt let me get to where i actually build the file on the apple tv. Sorry if i missed anything important in explaining this: can anyone help me? thanks in advance :)
bSr43
ScummVM Porter

Re: xcode issue?

Post by bSr43 »

atombone1180 wrote:I am quite new to sideloading in ios9 via xcode. I have successfully used it to sideload provenance but im having trouble with the scummvm port. Source Control > Check Out > (i enter in https://github.com/scummvm/scummvm.git) I select the master branch and tell it where to downlaod to. the download seems to get slow at 191.9mb, then finishes, xcode seems to close and my mac opens a finder window to where xcode downloaded scummvm. It doesnt let me get to where i actually build the file on the apple tv. Sorry if i missed anything important in explaining this: can anyone help me? thanks in advance :)
This will be a little more complicated for ScummVM than for the Provenance emulator, because Provenance is an iOS project, where ScummVM is a multi-platform project. The build system is not Xcode centric, so, you'll need some extra steps before being able to compile the project.

In a nutshell, you’ll need to compile a tool, called create_project, which will be used to create the ScummVM Xcode project. You'll also need to download some libraries (a ZIP file).

The complete procedure is detailed here: https://github.com/scummvm/scummvm/tree ... tform/ios7.
atombone1180

Post by atombone1180 »

First of all, thank you for helping me! Second: I am most certainly an idiot with xcode knowledge but quite capable of figuring this out and following directions. I'm struggling with the create_project part. terminal reads:
-bash: create-project: command not found
which leads me to believe there is some sort of binary that i dont have. The read me in the link you sent me states "The next step is to compile the create_project tool." This tells me i should already know how that is accomplished. You also mentioned libraries i may not have, which is something else i cannot discover. I am able to retrieve the data from github without issue and understand the file structure of where everything needs to be and how build the project in xcode. My issue seems to be a "failure to launch" so to speak. Again, thank you for providing your time and support with this.
bSr43
ScummVM Porter

Post by bSr43 »

atombone1180 wrote:First of all, thank you for helping me! Second: I am most certainly an idiot with xcode knowledge but quite capable of figuring this out and following directions. I'm struggling with the create_project part. terminal reads:
-bash: create-project: command not found
which leads me to believe there is some sort of binary that i dont have. The read me in the link you sent me states "The next step is to compile the create_project tool." This tells me i should already know how that is accomplished. You also mentioned libraries i may not have, which is something else i cannot discover. I am able to retrieve the data from github without issue and understand the file structure of where everything needs to be and how build the project in xcode. My issue seems to be a "failure to launch" so to speak. Again, thank you for providing your time and support with this.
Here is a script which should work out-of-the-box: it downloads all the needed tools, and open the generated Xcode project.

First, create a directory somewhere on your disk, and then, create a "prepare_workspace.sh" file in this directory with this content:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash

LIBS_ZIP_URL="http://bsr43.free.fr/scummvm/ScummVM-iOS-libraries.zip"
GIT_REPO_URL="https://github.com/scummvm/scummvm.git"

# Clone the repository
git clone "$GIT_REPO_URL"

# Compile create_project
(cd scummvm/devtools/create_project/xcode; xcodebuild)

# Create the workspace
mkdir build
cd build
curl -L "$LIBS_ZIP_URL" -O
unzip ScummVM-iOS-libraries.zip
rm ScummVM-iOS-libraries.zip

../scummvm/devtools/create_project/xcode/build/Release/create_project ../scummvm --xcode --enable-fluidsynth --disable-jpeg --disable-bink --disable-16bit --disable-mt32emu --disable-nasm --disable-opengl --disable-theora --disable-taskbar
open scummvm.xcodeproj 
After that, quit your editor, and execute:

Code: Select all

chmod +x prepare_workspace.sh ; ./prepare_workspace.sh
Once in Xcode, select the target you want to compile, and press Cmd+R.
Last edited by bSr43 on Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

You should be able to checkout master again for iOS
atombone1180

Post by atombone1180 »

Well, after much trial and error, I finally got it installed on my iphone 6! Much Kudos to you bSr43, thank you for your time and effort!
One small thing i wanted to point out and am in no way complaining, the line:
"chmod +x prepare_workspace_sh ; ./prepare_workspace.sh" required a (.) where the (_) is with "prepare_workspace_sh". Im sure it was a fat finger (just reference for anyone else that needs this helpful info to get it running on a non-jailbroken ios device). Thanks again man, i am truly grateful for your assistance.

I assume this will run on the new apple tv as well but i was having an issue with xcode detecting the apple tv when trying to compile the build. Maybe it wont compile for apple tv in its current state? Either way, thats a project for some other time. Again, thanks a million! I hope i can contribute again sometime (i made the icons for the ios build several years back)
atombone1180

Post by atombone1180 »

md5 wrote:You should be able to checkout master again for iOS
What changed?
bSr43
ScummVM Porter

Post by bSr43 »

atombone1180 wrote:Well, after much trial and error, I finally got it installed on my iphone 6! Much Kudos to you bSr43, thank you for your time and effort!
One small thing i wanted to point out and am in no way complaining, the line:
"chmod +x prepare_workspace_sh ; ./prepare_workspace.sh" required a (.) where the (_) is with "prepare_workspace_sh". Im sure it was a fat finger (just reference for anyone else that needs this helpful info to get it running on a non-jailbroken ios device). Thanks again man, i am truly grateful for your assistance.
Ouch, a typo, indeed :) I wrote these last two lines without testing, my bad, I have edited the original message so that anyone who want it can use the script directly. I think that I'll also add all this to the "README.md" file on the ScummVM repository.
I assume this will run on the new apple tv as well but i was having an issue with xcode detecting the apple tv when trying to compile the build. Maybe it wont compile for apple tv in its current state? Either way, thats a project for some other time. Again, thanks a million! I hope i can contribute again sometime (i made the icons for the ios build several years back)
I was interested in porting ScummVM to the new AppleTV, but there is a big problem with this target: we cannot upload the game data files to it with iTunes the way we do for the other iOS devices...
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

atombone1180 wrote:
md5 wrote:You should be able to checkout master again for iOS
What changed?
Support for SCI32 games is disabled in stable versions, as that's still a work in progress. Some recent changes to the SCI engine would break if SCI32 support was not enabled.
atombone1180

Post by atombone1180 »

Support for SCI32 games is disabled in stable versions, as that's still a work in progress. Some recent changes to the SCI engine would break if SCI32 support was not enabled.
ok, understood, thank you :) is SCI32 responsible for space quest 6, kings quest 7, phantasmagoria and the like?
Last edited by atombone1180 on Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
atombone1180

Post by atombone1180 »

I was interested in porting ScummVM to the new AppleTV, but there is a big problem with this target: we cannot upload the game data files to it with iTunes the way we do for the other iOS devices...
A possible solution could be to allow for ftp access (if thats what it is) similar to how provenance does it for the Apple TV? I would assume this would require coding on the ios port though eh?
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

atombone1180 wrote:
ok, understood, thank you :) is SCI32 responsible for space quest 6, kings quest 7, phantasmagoria and the like?
All Sierra SCI games since Gabriel Knight 1, i.e.:
http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Sierr ... sions#SCI2
atombone1180

Post by atombone1180 »

I saw that :) very informative! Thank you :)