ScummVM 1.8.0-git for iOS 7+ available on GitHub

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's iPhone port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

bSr43
ScummVM Porter

Post by bSr43 »

sofakng wrote: Is this something you would be able/willing to fix? :)
I have an iPad Pro, so yes, it's likely to be fixed:D
sofakng

Post by sofakng »

Great! I just got my iPad Pro this weekend. So far I like it... What are your impressions?
bSr43
ScummVM Porter

Post by bSr43 »

sofakng wrote:Great! I just got my iPad Pro this weekend. So far I like it... What are your impressions?
The screen is simply gorgeous, I definitely love the Apple Pencil for taking notes, and it's soooooo fast. So far, a great product :)
But clearly not a laptop replacement…
SubElement

Post by SubElement »

Holy... What... WOW! :shock:

I come by this forum once every one or two months hoping someone has worked on a way to get this on my phone legally. Never did I think this would happen so soon.

bSr43, thank you so much! I'm downloading the tools now to compile and put it onto my phone. I'm running an iPhone 6s and an iPad mini 4.

I'll provide feedback for both! I can't wait!
thatinkjar

Post by thatinkjar »

It's great to see everyone's reactions. It's a Christmas miracle!
bSr43
ScummVM Porter

Post by bSr43 »

Hi guys,

a new version has been pushed: now you can use the scalers (2xSaI, Super2xSaI, SuperEagle, AdvMame2x, AdvMame3x, HQ2x, HQ3x, TV2x, and DotMatrix). You’ll need to remove some of the arguments to the create_projet tool, of course. The README page has been updated anyway.

Also, the GUI has been scaled down for the iPad Pro.
SubElement

Post by SubElement »

So, finally figured out how everything works. Compiled directly to my iPhone.

Now, not sure if I am doing something wrong, but it doesn't seem to be optimised for the iPhone 6 display? You can usually tell by the size of the keyboard that pops up in an app, and it definitely looks like it's being built for an iPhone 5 size display.

Am I missing something?

Edit: Everything seems to be working as normal, scaling wise, on my iPad mini 4.

Also, I agree with the above, the App Icon definitly needs work, but amazing work so far loving it!

Edit 2: I've attached an image comparing ScummVM to a native app (Notes) showing the difference in scale http://imgur.com/qZ7veNN

Edit 3: Any chance of adding FluidSynth to the audio settings?
bSr43
ScummVM Porter

Post by bSr43 »

Please update to the version I just pushed, and it’ll use the new keyboard on iPhone 6/6+.

Regarding FluidSynth, I don’t know how much work it requires. Does it bring a real advantage over the current audio?
SubElement

Post by SubElement »

bSr43 wrote:Please update to the version I just pushed, and it’ll use the new keyboard on iPhone 6/6+.

Regarding FluidSynth, I don’t know how much work it requires. Does it bring a real advantage over the current audio?
Thanks man! I'll build and test it when I get home from work!

In regards, to Fluidsynth, I guess it depends how much of a purist you are. If you have a copy of Sam and Max, you can compare the no Fluidsynth music to this YouTube video and compare: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CN0HPVwxxl0

Let me know what you think, and thanks again for your hard work.
bSr43
ScummVM Porter

Post by bSr43 »

SubElement wrote: In regards, to Fluidsynth, I guess it depends how much of a purist you are. If you have a copy of Sam and Max, you can compare the no Fluidsynth music to this YouTube video and compare: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CN0HPVwxxl0

I had a look, and... it was not too complicated to compile FluidSynth (and the required glib) for iOS.

You can pull the changes from my GitHub repository. In order to activate the FluidSynth audio backend, you’ll need to re-download the ZIP file, containing all the precompiled libraries. Once compiled, and installed, just copy a SF2 soundfont using iTunes, and set the soundfont option, in the MIDI tab of ScummVM, to the file you just copied.
SubElement

Post by SubElement »

bSr43 wrote:
SubElement wrote: In regards, to Fluidsynth, I guess it depends how much of a purist you are. If you have a copy of Sam and Max, you can compare the no Fluidsynth music to this YouTube video and compare: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CN0HPVwxxl0

I had a look, and... it was not too complicated to compile FluidSynth (and the required glib) for iOS.

You can pull the changes from my GitHub repository. In order to activate the FluidSynth audio backend, you’ll need to re-download the ZIP file, containing all the precompiled libraries. Once compiled, and installed, just copy a SF2 soundfont using iTunes, and set the soundfont option, in the MIDI tab of ScummVM, to the file you just copied.
I just got home and sync'd the repo. Saw the changes you just made.

Can't wait to try it out!
SubElement

Post by SubElement »

Everything seems to be working fantastically! Scaling seems to be fixed, and FluidSynth seems to be working a treat!

Some more suggestions if you don't mind:
  • 1. Is there any way to fix the screen flashing when an overlay appears? Like when you enable or disable a mouse function?

2. Perhaps a setting or permanent change to SETTINGS gestures being THREE finger swipe? I find myself accidentally touching two fingers to right click and changing a setting, or changing a setting and right clicking through some dialogue. Two finger for right click should remain the same.

3. Can we get an orientation lock setting and/or gesture? I guess to either lock the orientation in portrait or landscape. May I suggest two/three finger swipe left?

4. Is there anything you would like me to test?
sofakng

Post by sofakng »

Can anybody try the Curse Of Monkey Island (COMI) ?

For some reason, ScummVM crashes after I try to start the game.
bSr43
ScummVM Porter

Post by bSr43 »

sofakng wrote:Can anybody try the Curse Of Monkey Island (COMI) ?

For some reason, ScummVM crashes after I try to start the game.
At least, the French version of COMI works well on my iPad, and iPhone. Do you have a scaler enabled? The resolution is pretty high in COMI, and scalers require a lot of memory (and are not really useful in this case).
sofakng

Post by sofakng »

Hmmm, no. I'm just using the defaults.

I'm also using the iPad Pro... (but other games work perfectly)

Would anything show in the system log?