Remove floating menu bar on S6?

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Android port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

PaganRuler

Remove floating menu bar on S6?

Post by PaganRuler »

Hi

In Lollipop and with the new Galaxy phones that don't have a menu button, they get a floating menu instead in some apps...

Any way of coding it so it disappears? It really gets in the way. [/img]
Nazo

Post by Nazo »

I'm not sure about Samsung since they insist on modifying the crap out of everything, but if that's the standard Android navbar, all an app has to do is enable the newer true fullscreen mode (not to be confused with the old one which simply dims the navbar) where the system hides the navbar and status bar and the user can swipe down from the top of the screen (or up from the bottom it seems) to show them. I don't know what exactly this takes coding-wise since I'm not a programmer, but it seems like it's basically just a matter of switching on a certain flag or something and little else. It's probably really easy to look it up for a coder, but if it helps any, as I recall CoolReader3 had the ability to enter true fullscreen mode and it's open source: http://sourceforge.net/projects/crengine/ (Mind you, I don't use CoolReader anymore. I found another reader app that works a little better for me after CoolReader seemed to have started on a bit of an aimless direction once CoolReader3 started crashing on one of my books -- kind of the straw that broke the camel's back. So I could be wrong in remembering that it does that. I use AlReader now, but it doesn't appear to be open source as far as I can tell and I can't think of anything else open source that uses true fullscreen mode.)

I have an option in my display settings labeled "Expanded Desktop" that can more or less force this. I think this is a CyanogenMod specific feature however. Still, it might be worth checking to see if Samsung bothered to implement a feature like that. (It also might be worth checking to see if yours is one of the models whose bootloader can be unlocked and things like CyanogenMod installed. Frankly Samsung's bloated and messy version of Android kind of sucks.)