Yes, it DOES work on the Amazon Fire TV... impressed.

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Android port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

crazyzeke

Yes, it DOES work on the Amazon Fire TV... impressed.

Post by crazyzeke »

I don't know if there's a thread about this already, but here's my experience.

I have an Amazon Fire TV, bought it about two weeks ago. Have no interest in it's function as a Prime streaming device, bought it as a replacement for my six year old HTPC to run SPMC and for the other bits like YouTube. It's hooked up to a powered 4-port Belkin USB hub so I can have a FLIRC dongle, Xbox 360 wired gamepad, Logitech wireless mouse/keyboard set and external USB2 HDD connected at once.

I am happy to report that side loading ScummVM onto it produces workable results. It's running the latest firmware so games can be imported to ScummVM from a FAT32 formatted external USB drive, handy because the Fire TV has limited internal space and games like Curse Of Monkey Island are well over 1GB.

There are a few issues:
  • After the loading bar you get presented with a black screen. I've been getting round it by pressing escape on the keyboard a few times which gives you the standard load/add game screen which works fine.
  • The app appears to underscan so there's a black box around everything which presumably can't be changed.
  • Pressing F5 on the keyboard in game doesn't do anything. I've been getting round this by using the MENU button on the remote so I can get the load/save menu.
  • The Xbox 360 pad does work, but not well. Using the analogue stick fully pushed in one direction is jerky and you can't long hold the A button to select things on the COMI piece o' eight verb wheel. But playing point and click stuff with a pad isn't great at the best of times anyway!
Anyway I've only tested with COMI so far, gonna try BASS, LOOM and a few other titles from my collection later today. But the game is fully playable, and minor niggles aside this port works well. At this point with SPMC, Opera, Gmail, GTA Vice City working on my Fire TV it's more than proved it's worth - £79 for a TV centred Android box is good value.