ScummVM logo Forum Index - ScummVM website - Contact us - Buy Supported Games: GOG.com Rules - Search - Register - Login curved edge
Folder Forum Index > General Discussion > ScummVM shortcut creator
ScummVM shortcut creator
  Author    Thread Reply to topic
sega dude

ScummVM shortcut creator 

I have created an app for Windows that allows to you easily make desktop shortcuts to your ScummVM games. The app automatically detects your installed ScummVM games, and from there allows you to make desktop shortcuts for them.It also includes a full in app game-id list, so that you can match up your game ids with the game's full title. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Should run on Windows XP up. Windows XP users will require .Net Framework 4 if it's not already installed.

Planned features:
- Custom icon support
- Ability to create shortcuts places other than the desktop

Screenshot:

Download

There is also a version for ResidualVM available here.

Last edited by sega dude on Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:32 am 
raina

Neat. Does it get the list of IDs from ScummVM or is it hardcoded and so automatically requires an update when ScummVM game support expands? One suggestion would be to show the command line that is being generated for the shortcut, especially if you plan to add GUI for more options.

Post Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:49 am 
sega dude

quote:
Originally posted by raina
Does it get the list of IDs from ScummVM or is it hardcoded and so automatically requires an update when ScummVM game support expands?

The Game id list? It gets them from a file that is included with the program.
Post Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:39 pm 
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Location: A haunted Castle somewhere in the Bavarian Mountains

quote:
Originally posted by sega dude
quote:
Originally posted by raina
Does it get the list of IDs from ScummVM or is it hardcoded and so automatically requires an update when ScummVM game support expands?

The Game id list? It gets them from a file that is included with the program.

You could make life easier for you and just read in the scummvm.ini file, all the used and available game ids are in there.
(Because if no games are installed, why would one want to create shortcuts in the first place?) Wink

That would save you from keeping your extra file updated (because it would happen automatically with every new ScummVM release) and users would only get prompted for the games they've actually installed.
Post Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:18 pm 
sega dude

Let me clarify. The game ids in the "Game-id" dropdown do come from scummvm.ini in "C:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Roaming\ScummVM". Therefore, it only shows the games the user has installed.

The game ids in the table when you click the "Game ID list" button is from the file I mentioned before. This is only there for reference.

Post Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:14 pm 
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

I think it would be helpful to use ScummVM's naming scheme when it comes to game ids versus target ids/names.

For example, take the following excerpt from a config file (borrowed from our README):

code:

[germansky]
gameid=sky
language=de
path=C:\games\SteelSky\
description=Beneath a Steel Sky w/ German subtitles

[germandott]
gameid=tentacle
path=C:\german\tentacle\
description=German version of DOTT

Here, "germansky" and "germandott" are the target ids/names (they will also appear in the "--list-targets" output of the ScummVM executable). These are typically used, for example, to run games configured in ScummVM through the command line. I guess this is was you call "game-id".

On the other hand. The game id for the target "germansky" is "sky" (i.e. the value of the configuration key "gameid"). On the other hand the game id for target "germandott" is "tentacle". The possible game id values which a version of ScummVM supports/uses can be shown by using "--list-games". Game ids can be used to run games, which are not configured in the ScummVM configuration file, when supplying a path.

Please not that there must be no correlation between the target id/name and the game id at all. The user is free to choose a target id/name he wishes (as long as he does not use characters which are not allowed in the section name of an ini file).
Post Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:05 am 
MPinillos

That's so cool!

Could yo do the same thing with ResidualVM, if you don't mind? The work is done yet, I suposse, because ScummVM and ResidualVM use the same code and interface.

Anyway, thanks for thw work!

Post Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:02 am 
sega dude

quote:
Originally posted by MPinillos
That's so cool!

Could yo do the same thing with ResidualVM, if you don't mind?

I'm sure I can. Unfortunately, my dev machine is out of commission right now, so I won't be able to work on it until I get a new computer. But it shouldn't be too long.
Post Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:52 pm 
MPinillos

quote:
Originally posted by sega dude
quote:
Originally posted by MPinillos
That's so cool!

Could yo do the same thing with ResidualVM, if you don't mind?

I'm sure I can. Unfortunately, my dev machine is out of commission right now, so I won't be able to work on it until I get a new computer. But it shouldn't be too long.

It would be perfect! Thanks Wink
Post Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:51 am 
sega dude

The ResidualVM version has been released. You can find the link to it in the original post above.

Post Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:07 pm 
Reply to topic