Amiga palette and costume colour

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

M3wP

Amiga palette and costume colour

Post by M3wP »

Heyas!

As you might be aware, I'm working on some SCUMM tools.

I have entirely written from scratch my own V2 costume reader/decoder and I'm having some issues with getting the palette correct.

Does anyone know how SCUMMVM sets up the palette or able to point me in the right direction? I'm trying to decode V2 enhanced amiga costumes.

I've tried looking at the code involved in SCUMMVM but I can't see where the indexes are converted to RGB except for where it simply fills a 16 element array with the numbers 0..15 and a constant declaration of tableAmigaPalette.

Those things don't get me the correct colours. tableAmigaPalette looks like EGA and not at all what the V2 amiga Maniac Mansion is actually using.

Also, I just can't pin down how the single palette entry in the V2 costume is utilised.

As a side note, I've found some undocumented strangeness to the costume data that's in neither the technical docs nor the SCUMMVM code. I'm wondering if I should try to post my findings?

I think the code for costume decoding in SCUMMVM is also a bit inefficient. Should I try to fix it since its used lots every frame?

Can anyone help?

TIA

Daniel.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Re: Amiga palette and costume colour

Post by sev »

M3wP wrote: As a side note, I've found some undocumented strangeness to the costume data that's in neither the technical docs nor the SCUMMVM code. I'm wondering if I should try to post my findings?
Absolutely!
M3wP wrote: I think the code for costume decoding in SCUMMVM is also a bit inefficient. Should I try to fix it since its used lots every frame?
That would be also great, please consider submitting your patches via github.

Eugene