How to abort race-game in Sam & Max?

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Jackie

How to abort race-game in Sam & Max?

Post by Jackie »

Hi,

I am using ScummVM in Windows, playing "Sam & Max". I was just wondering how I can abort the race game where I can earn points, but nothing really important for the game progress. I tried ESC or Backspace, but none of them work.

Which is the correct key to abort this kind of minigames?

And how can I skip longer spoken text passages in dialogs?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: How to abort race-game in Sam & Max?

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Jackie wrote: I am using ScummVM in Windows, playing "Sam & Max". I was just wondering how I can abort the race game where I can earn points, but nothing really important for the game progress. I tried ESC or Backspace, but none of them work.
I don't remember if there is one, other than crashing Max into things and allowing the time to run out. I never liked that minigame, so I stay away from it myself.
Jackie wrote: And how can I skip longer spoken text passages in dialogs?
You mean like pressing . to skip a line of speech? (Pressing Esc sometimes skips entire scenes, but I'm pretty sure the game itself has to specify that it's a skipable scene for that to work.)
Robot_Maker20

Post by Robot_Maker20 »

It's the Q key, presumably short for "quit." If I remember correctly this is also the only way to zoom out from using the mounted binoculars. I can't remember if this was even in the manual, but I do remember this gave me problems playing the originals on DOS as a kid, because SCUMM games (chiefly this one, but I think there were just one or two other instances in others) use the ESC key for skipping pretty much everything except these few weird cases where, for no apparent reason, only Q works.

Perhaps a minor patch to SCUMMVM to make the ESC key work in these scenes would be a good idea? There doesn't seem to be any earthly reason why it shouldn't.