How do I make a portable SVM for a flash drive?

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

DOS4GW

How do I make a portable SVM for a flash drive?

Post by DOS4GW »

I was only able to find one topic that related to this, and that was from eight or nine years ago. Apparently there was some effort to make it work, but all download links concerned are now down.

I'm trying to get a self-contained version of ScummVM to put on a flash drive that will retain it's configuration when jumping from PC to PC. Currently, I have to redefine the paths and settings for all my games when first running it on a new computer.

D-Fend for Dosbox allows you to set up a portable version where you can set paths such as "./GAMEFOLDER/GAME"

Is there any way I can set up something similar with ScummVM?
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

Portable is not a configuration that we have tested for or designed to IMHO... However, reading the README.

You just use the normal ScummVM binary and a Batch File / Shell file to invoke it with a command line specifying an alternative location for the configuration file:
https://github.com/scummvm/scummvm/blob ... ADME#L1126

I'm not clear if this can be a relative path, but I think so as this will depend on the command shell interpreter to expand at runtime.

Once that is done, you can specify the paths in the configuration file relative... This may require direct editing of the configuration file as I suspect the GUI will always put absolute paths in.

That should get you what you are looking for.
DOS4GW

Post by DOS4GW »

Thanks very much! :D
Collector

Post by Collector »

Yes you can use relative paths. For complete portability you will want to also set any extra paths, like for the save games.