RogueVM

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Humongousfan

RogueVM

Post by Humongousfan »

I am waiting, and waiting, and WAITING for the new side project called RogueVM, where it has RPG games, Learning Company games, Apogee games, etc.
1. What will it look like?
2. What color would it be?
3. Will da1writer be pleased?
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

Cool. Green. Yes. :lol:
Dark-Star

Post by Dark-Star »

So is this still a thing? I see some recent updates wrt. DungeonMaster in ScummVM, but the RogueVM source code has not been touched for a while.

Is RogueVM now being incorporated in ScummVM itself?

Or just on hold?

thanks
-Darkstar
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

It has been decided to allow RPG's in ScummVM.
Hence, Dungeon Master is being implemented.

So I'm guessing RougeVM is at least frozen indefinitely.
Dark-Star

Post by Dark-Star »

Nice! Happy to hear that :)

thanks for the update
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

Wow really? That was a hardcore rule for so long.
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

Dark-Star

Post by Dark-Star »

I very much welcome this decision. Didn't realize it was such a recent one (had I asked a week earlier, the answer would have been different ;-) )

I'm very much looking forward to the Xeen engine since (at least for me) running Xeen in DosBox is very buggy to the point that it either crashes the game or DosBox after playing anything between 5 minutes and 3 hours. I think it has to do with sound or music settings but I don't want to disable these ...
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

Dark-Star wrote:I'm very much looking forward to the Xeen engine since (at least for me) running Xeen in DosBox is very buggy to the point that it either crashes the game or DosBox after playing anything between 5 minutes and 3 hours. I think it has to do with sound or music settings but I don't want to disable these ...
Heh. I'm pretty stoked about the inclusion myself; it will enormously simplify things, not having to have a full separate project. At the moment all my time is going into Starship Titanic, but once that's done, I'll likely devote some of my time to Xeen, irrespective of what other engines I work on.
Graxer

Post by Graxer »

Does this mean that The Learning Company games such as Treasure Cove, Treasure Math Storm and Gizmos and Gadgets may be coming to ScummVM? (Based on the original post) or does this just mean the Carmen Sandiego games might?
dreammaster wrote:At the moment all my time is going into Starship Titanic, but once that's done, I'll likely devote some of my time to Xeen, irrespective of what other engines I work on.
Starship Titanic is being added too? That's great to hear!
Dark-Star

Post by Dark-Star »

So, is the whole source code re-created from studying the assembly code of the game? Because it sure looks like it, it's quite hard to follow ;-)

The game still seems to be crashing a lot when you click on anything though, but it's nice that almost everything seems to already work to some extent (combat, maps, monsters, the whole UI, etc.)

There is a really cool (but unintended) effect on the wall when you turn around right at the beginning, run into the bar, and look right. It seems to cycle through all wall frames :)

I'm currently playing through Might and Magic 3 (never played that one before) but it's a lot more "bare-bones" UI-wise than the 4th and 5th installment. I wonder if it could later be supported as well.

Man, now I really want to play through World of Xeen again...
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

Graxer wrote:Does this mean that The Learning Company games such as Treasure Cove, Treasure Math Storm and Gizmos and Gadgets may be coming to ScummVM? (Based on the original post) or does this just mean the Carmen Sandiego games might?
I suspect not, since they're not really either adventure or RPG games. Unless they share an engine in common with at least one adventure or RPG game.
Graxer wrote: Starship Titanic is being added too? That's great to hear!
Yes indeed; I've got a pull request for it right now to have it merged into the master codebase. Though there is still a lot of code still to implement, but at least the bulk of the game's core has been reversed and understood.
secreto

Post by secreto »

BLASPHEMY. Profanation of the project and all the years of work.
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

Heh. It is called progress.
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

Heh. Takes me back to a discussion about what kind of game genre Betrayal at Krondor would be classified as. There were some "die-hard purists" who said it definitely wasn't an RPG, because it didn't let you create your own characters (the game has predefined protagonists), and so should be classed as an adventure. As you can imagine, that viewpoint was controversial to both the adventure and RPG lovers. Hmmm.. maybe one day I'll have a look at the xBak engine and see if it's worth taking up. Then we can have more fruitful arguments about whether the game is too 3D to belong in ScummVM or not. ;)