A new side project

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Humongousfan

A new side project

Post by Humongousfan »

I saw that Broderbund related games were supported on ScummVM, especially Living Books because a user named da1writer wanted The Learning Company games on ScummVM, but KuroShiro said "No" because all Learning Company based games have arrow keys. (usually) And this is REALLY going to make me think. I would like you to start a side project rather than ResidualVM, to support arrow-key based games such as Apogee games, The Learning Company games, etc. for a whole new side project. (I hope Reader Rabbit would get supported on this NEW side project.)
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

People are certainly free to fork the project as they see fit, and start their own new projects. Strangerke and I have been tossing around for a while starting a "RogueVM" sister project that would focus primarily on role playing games, but could encompass other game types not covered under ScummVM's umbrella - after all, ScummVM itself already has Lands of Lore 1, and we've got pending source codes for some other non-adventure games, not to mention partial disassembly for Might & Magic World of Xeen. The problem, as ever, is one of time. What time we've got free has been devoted to adventure games we're working on, with no time left over. :(

If you've got the time available to create your own support for several games using the ScummVM core, maybe at some stage eventually we can combine forces for a general-game sister project. :)
Collector

Post by Collector »

Nice name.
Humongousfan

Post by Humongousfan »

Collector wrote:Nice name.
Thanks!
Collector

Post by Collector »

I was referring to "RogueVM" for an RPG branch.
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

Of course, as with my earlier posting, it's easy to say you want to create a side-project, but the real test will be devoting the time to reversing and implementing any of the games you're interested in. You can always do it using your own Github account, and then worry about creating a formal "project" once games are implemented.