Question concerning data files

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

LOGAN

Question concerning data files

Post by LOGAN »

If the data files needed to play some games only contributes about 700KB to the download, why would't SCUMMVM include these files in the SCUMMVM folder (where I now keep the files)?

After giving it some thought I think its not about the additional size but about the dat files itself. As was mentioned somewhere the extra dat files contain some data that was extracted from the executable. This makes the dat files in theory 'game data' something SCUMMVM team avoid inclusion of due to possible copyright issues.

Is this indeed the reason why the data files are not included with the distribution of SCUMMVM or is there another reason I'm not aware of.
noize

Post by noize »

Builds used to contain the data you speak of in the ScummVM executable. It was loaded into memory, every time you started ScummVM. This was founded unneccesary, when for instance you wanted to play Maniac Mansion, and Beneath a Steel Sky data was loaded into memory. Especially for ports like GP32 or Symbian, where every possible free memory is valuable.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

noize wrote:Builds used to contain the data you speak of in the ScummVM executable. It was loaded into memory, every time you started ScummVM. This was founded unneccesary, when for instance you wanted to play Maniac Mansion, and Beneath a Steel Sky data was loaded into memory. Especially for ports like GP32 or Symbian, where every possible free memory is valuable.
I think he's asking why the files are a separate download and not bundled with ScummVM like (I believe) the compression tools are bundled with the Windows version. I don't know the answer to that myself, though.
clem

Post by clem »

eriktorbjorn wrote:
noize wrote:Builds used to contain the data you speak of in the ScummVM executable. It was loaded into memory, every time you started ScummVM. This was founded unneccesary, when for instance you wanted to play Maniac Mansion, and Beneath a Steel Sky data was loaded into memory. Especially for ports like GP32 or Symbian, where every possible free memory is valuable.
I think he's asking why the files are a separate download and not bundled with ScummVM like (I believe) the compression tools are bundled with the Windows version. I don't know the answer to that myself, though.
probably because the datafiles don't change that often (apart from wip stuff for kyra and lure)