Is Quest for Glory IV even in consideration?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

DarkSoul42

Post by DarkSoul42 »

tsoliman wrote:
DarkSoul42 wrote: I actually wonder if I could finish a battle with a Necrotaur by only casting spells. I crash after swinging my sword at one...
The vagueness of this statement is why this game is a PITA to test. In any other game it is very specific and "good-enough" for a bug report.

But without a savegame to go along with it, there's at least 3 followup questions (if not more):
- Fighter or Paladin?
- New game or import?
- Which necrotaur?

I am not expecting answers here because if you file a bug report you'll attach a savegame (right?)
Actually, I wanted to ask if it was OK to report issues like these for QfG4. I did look at the bug tracker (where I saw the Revenant problem), but a reply indicated that since it was not officially supported, it didn't seem quite appropriate to clutter the bug tracker with more stuff. Of course, if that's OK then I will start raising bugs (keeping in mind the questions you ask, and obviously providing a savegame file), I was just worried that I might be a bit over-enthusiastic with the reporting.

At any rate, just for the sake of completeness, here is the info for the followup questions (I will also keep in mind it's probably a good idea to provide that info, in case there is a difference between "what the player thinks he knows" and "what the game actually sees") :
- Paladin (but no Reversal spell)
- Imported from QfG3
- Random encounter in the forest (i.e not the ones at the castle gates)

For further specifics : So far I crashed three times after being hit AND then trying to hit a Necrotaur random encounter. I would have to try hitting BEFORE being pushed in a corner to see if there is a difference.
snover
ScummVM Developer

Post by snover »

DarkSoul42 wrote:Actually, I wanted to ask if it was OK to report issues like these for QfG4. I did look at the bug tracker (where I saw the Revenant problem), but a reply indicated that since it was not officially supported, it didn't seem quite appropriate to clutter the bug tracker with more stuff.
Let me get back to you on this. This will probably be OK, possibly with some conditions. In the meantime, please start collecting save games and corresponding reproduction instructions.
2Mourty

Post by 2Mourty »

I have started collecting save games as suggested in the above post.

I'm glad this game is getting some attention!!

I'm doing a fighter play through, then I will do a magic user play through and compare actions.
DarkSoul42

Post by DarkSoul42 »

Same here. Started collecting some savegames for reproducible crashes on my Paladin run :
- Using Glide on the swamp
- Entering the Gypsy camp for the first time after saving the Gypsy (This is a show stopper because without it you can't get further in the game), most likely a pathfinding issue.

Code: Select all

Uninitialized read for temp 1 from method DPath::init (room 460, script 64964, localCall ffffffff)!
- The Necrotaur fight crash (It is possible to kill it with only spells)

I could do :
- The Gnome and Baba Yaga quests (Breath Ritual)
- Blood Ritual and burning the Monastery (along with the Domovoi and getting Tanya's doll)
- The Senses Ritual in the Dark One stone
- The Bone Ritual tomb (walking through the swamp, close up to the Chernovies and fight them)
- Train with all the weights
- Get in the Castle crypt and all the way to Castle Borgov

And if I recall properly I have at least made half of the points in the game.
If that's okay, I will raise the three above bugs with the evidence I have.
DarkSoul42

Post by DarkSoul42 »

- Bonehead bugs (not critical) : some lines related to the "Tell about gnome" and "Ask about Fry Guys" and "Ask about Big B" tree mess up

WARNING: [Audio32::play]: audio36.480(28, 128, 74, 1) could not be found!
WARNING: [Audio32::play]: audio36.480(28, 128, 74, 2) could not be found!
WARNING: [Audio32::play]: audio36.480(28, 128, 74, 3) could not be found!
WARNING: [Audio32::play]: audio36.480(28, 128, 76, 1) could not be found!
WARNING: [Audio32::play]: audio36.480(28, 128, 77, 1) could not be found!
- Crash : Badders in Castle, also a pathfinding bug with an automatic sequence it seems

Uninitialized read for temp 1 from method DPath::init (room 632, script 64964, localCall ffffffff)!
- Pathfinding quirk in the castle : when going down stairs in a top right -> bottom left screen

I could get as far as giving Tanya her doll but without seeing the Gypsies, I will not get the information about the Destiny Spell.
2Mourty

Post by 2Mourty »

I got to the game braking bug that darksoul42 mentioned in the last post. I go to the Gypsy camp after saving Igor on day 5,and once I move toward the wagon to talk with the fortune teller scummvm crashes.

Another issue that also involves this event is, if you don't go to the gypsy camp right after saving Igor and wait until the next day; the gypsy will appear and invite you to the gypsy camp. In scummvm right now this does not occur.

I have collected some save games with instructions on how to make the character occur:

#1 Leshy Rusulka error - crashes scummvm if you respond with the answer Rusulka
#2 If you unlock the door of your room in the inn from ground level you take the wrong path to the door.
#3 If you come down the staircase from your room in the inn you take the wrong path and shrink to half size.
#4 An error trying to collect treasure from a Wyvern, you stay in place and collect instead of moving to the Wyvern.
#5 Dr. Cranium Doorbell Error: When the door bells play the pattern you have to repeat back, if it plays the same bell multiple times as part of the pattern the tone only plays once. You can see the bells shake from he repeat but not hear the note.
#6 Pathfinding error when you knock on Punnybones door from ground level on the inn.

Where do we go from here? I can play a magician (this is a fighter character) to the same game breaking error, but if you can't enter the gypsy wagon you can't finish the game.

Thank you again for all the hard work that has gone into ScummVM!
DarkSoul42

Post by DarkSoul42 »

#2, #3 and #6 feel like a pathfinding state error. If from the top floor, you click the bottom of the stairs, nothing happens (whereas in the game it would get you downstairs), but you can initiate the proper state switch by clicking the top of the stairs to go downstairs, or go upstairs by explicitely clicking the bottom.

Other than that, it feels like any action (opening whatever door, sitting down, taking the doll) taken from the bottom floor does not "know" it should first go through the bottom/top of the stairs.

At least they are not fatal.

As for #4 I haven't had this problem.

I also encountered the following bug with the Levitation spell, it displays the following window (not a fatal bug) :

<Prop setScale&#58;> y value less than vanishingY
2Mourty

Post by 2Mourty »

I'll have some time to start a magician playthrough this weekend. I'll document any new bugs I see (if any). Where does the process go from here? Just curious. Big shout out to DarkSoul42 for loving this game so much!! =)
DarkSoul42

Post by DarkSoul42 »

I tried using a Paladin character with Reversal, and in such conditions it is possible to beat the Master Wraith on day 1 even without protection against the undead, which means getting the Paladin sword and the Heart Ritual.

The funny side effect I had noticed even back in the 90ies is that the sword icon does not get updated (so even though it's Piotyr's sword, it's still rusty). Could it be possible to fix it within ScummVM ? Or too much of a hassle ?

I added the lock picking skill for kicks, but for some reason while the markings in the adventurer's guild would not show up, I could still tweak the coat hanger hooks and get in the thieves' guild and fulfill that quest. (I seem to recall playing this back in the day that this should be sufficient)
Edit: Playing this in Dosbox again confirmed that this happens the same. No problem on that side, then.

I have noticed afterwards the following messages :

WARNING&#58; Uninitialized read for parameter 2 from method hero&#58;&#58;useSkill &#40;room 340, script 28, localCall ffffffff&#41;!
WARNING&#58; Uninitialized read for parameter 2 from method hero&#58;&#58;useSkill &#40;room 340, script 28, localCall ffffffff&#41;!
2Mourty

Post by 2Mourty »

I am playing a Mage playthrough right now. Going slower than expected. I put it on my vita so I can play a bit more on the go. Two problems I have noticed so far (in addition to everything else)

1. At night you can click "look" on the right side of the monastery and it will crash scummvm.

2. Using glide in Erana's Garden crashes scummvm. I think this might have been mentioned by DarkSoul42 however.
snover
ScummVM Developer

Post by snover »

Hi everyone. Thank you for playing through the game and for your patience. Please go ahead and send bug reports to the bug tracker for anything where you have a list of reproduction instructions and a save game that reproduces the bug. Thanks!
Last edited by snover on Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2Mourty

Post by 2Mourty »

Thank you for the reply snover. I will be more than happy to send bug reports to the tracker. How do I do so?

I am a novice at this sort of thing. I will work by butt off however to help you guys find all the bugs. This is the 1st computer game I ever bought and therefore has a very special place in my heart.

As a matter of fact the sales person at Electronics Boutique couldn't believe that I wanted to buy this game. He tried to sell me a copy of Doom instead. =)
tsoliman
ScummVM Developer

Post by tsoliman »

2Mourty wrote:I will be more than happy to send bug reports to the tracker. How do I do so?
https://bugs.scummvm.org/
DarkSoul42

Post by DarkSoul42 »

I was surprised but it seems the following version fixed a lot of pathfinding bugs :
ScummVM 2.0.0 (Dec 26 2017 20:39:13)
Features compiled in: Vorbis MP3 ALSA SEQ sndio TiMidity RGB zLib MPEG2 Theora FreeType2 JPEG PNG

The Badder crash, the glide crash and the gipsy camp crash are fixed, even though they give out warnings. With that it might actually be possible to complete the game.
DarkSoul42

Post by DarkSoul42 »

I could get as far as saving Tanya (I could also save the Rusalka), but it crashes right after the cut scene -> https://bugs.scummvm.org/ticket/10421