ScummVM 1.7.0 "The Neverrelease" is out!

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

Also, in some cases, read/write of the installation directory is denied and thus the application data needs to be stored elsewhere.

Anyway, you should read the README. We have covered your use case there. You can use a command line option to choose to use an alternate configuration file and save path to the default:
https://github.com/scummvm/scummvm/blob ... ADME#L1130
https://github.com/scummvm/scummvm/blob ... ADME#L1161
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

UFO wrote:C:\Documents and Settings\aaa\Application Data\ScummVM\scummvm.ini

It has been a while since i upgraded Scummvm from v1.4, but I can not use this version 1.70

why did you have to make scummvm read from C:\Documents and Settings\aaa\Application Data\ScummVM\scummvm.ini
and gamesave files? and not read all the ini and gamesave files from the installed directory.

* it is too hard to carry all the files from pc to pc instantly when it doesnt read data from the installed directory.
* why would i store any data files in C: drive where OS was installed, which makes OS run slow and OS backup too long, more files in C: longer to filter files and read files.

please make options to choose where i can locate save files and ini file.
There already is an option to select your save directory in Options->Path in the the ScummVM launcher.

All modern software keeps the configuration files in your user directory. We simply switched to this behavior to improve ScummVM's usability on multi user systems.
UFO

Post by UFO »

Putting the configuration file and saved games into the same directory as the installation causes problems

Reply : i do not think the installation itself causes a problem. If scummvm.ini is found during installation, then installation software scummvm-1.7.0-win32.exe does not overwrite the old scummvm.ini, since all gamesave files do not come with scummvm-1.7.0-win32.exe, it is no matter.

A significant number of users and most developers have ((( multiple versions of ScummVM )))) installed in different locations.
Reply :a shared location, saved games is the best option.
as in C:\Documents and Settings\aaa\Application Data\ScummVM\scummvm.ini

If we use separate directories, users complain that their savegames have "vanished" upon installing the new version.
replay : the oposite was also a problem, 1st new version didnt look for the data files like ini and savedgame files from where the scummvm.exe was launched. but if this is just one time trouble, this is ok.

If we use a standard installation location, overwriting the old version, only one version of ScummVM can be installed and overwriting of configuration files could occur.
reply: i do not understand the concept here exactly, you are overwriting ScummVM.exe only and maybe few here and there, so how could it ...

which applies similar arguments across all programs:
Reply : across all programs... i dont follow this well without logical steps. even windows OS litters files and directories all over a hard drive under the name of smoke screen file-sharing cencept, windows OS makes 1 directory
for 1 file or 1 registry like

C:\WINDOWS\ASSEMBLY\GAC\Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3DX\1.0.2911.0__31bf3856ad364e35\

C:\WINDOWS\Installer\{152B782A-05F3-48EC-9AAC-4D3EB68D9E20}\
etc

startcraft 2 makes about 2000 cache directories with 1 file in each as unchangable default directory,
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Blizzard Entertainment\StarCraft II\
this one kills the C: drive with future slowness for using USB or filtering files and etc where OS is installed.

yahoo messenger does the same.

and so many games do this way, they create about 20000 files with 1000~2000 directories, maybe to make you think that they give more as a form of a deceit, it actually kills the OS or future computer use or other purpose or etc and you can not even scan disk for errors, just wasting of my time.

conclusion : i support your sharing concept for your multiple version scummvm's. however you can also support the other file path as this

path = C:\Documents and Settings\aaa\Application Data\ScummVM\ ; t:\scummvm or ;%var%, %var% is where scummvm is launched.

there are other different benefits launching scummvm.exe from directories names as scummvm1 scummvm2 scummvm3 ...
when scummvm.exe uses data from each directory.

my philosophy of making software is independant of drive letter and directory and registry
this makes software portable
this maybe makes software survive even when OS is dead and obsolote.

my scummvm handles about 40 DOS games, scummvm is not a software to me, it is a game OS that controls. so i think it needs more path flexibilities and path options.

if my scummvm.exe runs 1 or 2 dos games, i dont even care where you locate or start your ini or data files.

key word : please also get string-variables from the directory where scummvm.exe is launched when it does not find them from shared directories.

sincerely.
UFO

Post by UFO »

There already is an option to select your save directory in Options->Path in the the ScummVM launcher.

reply: this didnt work, when scummvm.ini has all the information of DOS games paths and scummvm.exe din not look for ini file from the directory where exe was launched, even if it wanted to. so saved game files would not be loaded.

however, i didnt have tried much on this built in path option to say it clearly, due to my shoulders injuries, typing is slow.

sincerely
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

You should consider using proper quotes tags to mark things you quoted from other posts. Your post is really hard to follow this way.