In-game cursor disappeared in Beneath a Steel Sky

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Android port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

electricaltill

In-game cursor disappeared in Beneath a Steel Sky

Post by electricaltill »

Hi all,

I'm playing BASS on a Nexus 10 (v0.0348 floppy). The in-game cursor has been sporadically disappearing (the GUI cursor is unaffected). It has actually been disappearing, not just becoming invisible, because I can't select any objects or characters in game.

The game hasn't crashed, because the music and character animations are still continuing, but I made the mistake of saving the game while this was happening and now I can't do anything. Is there any way of fixing this? Usually it can be corrected by minimising then maximising the app, but this time it's not working.
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

Firstly, what version of ScummVM are you using?
This is listed above the logo on the launcher game list page, or by using the About button.

If it is v1.5.0, that is rather outdated. See other posts in this forum for why the Google Play store version is outdated.
I'd suggest installing the latest v1.7.0 daily build:
http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Android#Daily_Builds

Secondly, I will take a look and see if you can get the mouse pointer back... but it is likely your game state is corrupted.
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

I did a quick check and if you can use the Virtual Keyboard to send a CTRL-d while the game is running, the debug console will drop down. You will then need to type "logiccmd fn_normal_mouse" and then "exit" and the game's mouse cursor _should_ now be visible again.

However, we can not guarantee that your game state is not otherwise invalid...
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

This is most likely an original game script bug. Check this bug report:
http://sourceforge.net/p/scummvm/bugs/2226/
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

md5: Not sure if that bug is directly relevant, but it is certainly true that there are a significant number of scripting bugs within the BASS datafiles, especially for the earlier versions and especially for the later parts of the game at Ground Level and beyond...

electricaltill has not been clear when this has started happening, but as they are asking to "fix the savegame", it can be assumed that they are some way into the game at Ground Level and you are correct..
electricaltill

Post by electricaltill »

Hi, sorry for being sluggish following up. md5, although I had been experiencing the bug for some time, the point at which it made the game unplayable is precisely where that bug report you linked stated.

Digitall, this is happening on 1.5.0. I assumed that the version on the play store would be the most up to date, so I'll try 1.7.0, and try your other suggestions. Thanks!
electricaltill

Post by electricaltill »

Digitall, I did what you suggested with the virtual keyboard, and while it did make the mouse cursor reappear, I still wasn't able to interact with anything.
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

It is very likely that your game state is corrupted.

Use the latest daily build as indicated before and try loading an earlier savegame.. If you can't or only have 1 savegame, then you will need to replay the game from the start.

As [md5] indicated, this could be a game script issue, rather than ScummVM specifically, but *shrug* I can't make any other easy suggestions and even if the game cursor state was "fixed", it is likely the corruption has affected more than just the cursor state.