Any news for a 1.6.0 version on iOS?

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's iPhone port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

joanthedark

Any news for a 1.6.0 version on iOS?

Post by joanthedark »

Playing Lands of Lore on the iPhone is amazingly good with "click-and-drag" mode from ScummVM, and I really want to play Eye of the Beholder 2: The Legend of Darkmoon now that 1.6.0 supports it. Is there any news of an update for the iOS?
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

The buildbot toolchain for iOS has now been updated.

You can download the latest v1.7.0git development snapshot build here for the older toolchain:
http://buildbot.scummvm.org/snapshots/m ... st.tar.bz2

And this is the v1.7.0git built with the newer clang based toolchain:
http://buildbot.scummvm.org/snapshots/m ... st.tar.bz2
joanthedark

Post by joanthedark »

I am not familiar with these terminologies (buildbot, toolchain, clang) How do I run this? The old 1.5.0 package on downloads section is a single Deb file which makes it easier for installation, but these downloads have a lot of files.

My take on it is that I have to manually copy the ScummVM.app folder with an app like Filezilla onto the iPhone right? (I'm also guessing .dat files are the engines?)
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

If you are interested about those terminologies, then a quick Google would show what they are:
http://buildbot.net/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toolchain
http://clang.llvm.org/

We have a buildbot instance to automatically compile the latest source code into executables so that users and developers can test without having to set up the compiler and other tools. The iOS toolchain on this used an older compiler and had a number of issues. We have recently added a newer compiler and toolchain using the clang compiler, so there are now two "iphone" builds... old and new (-clang).

We are keeping the older one currently until we are sure that the new builds are tested and shown to not be exhibiting any major issues.

Anyway, sorry about the packaging. It should be possible to get the buildbot to output .deb files for this, but as this is intended for developers/power users, no one had bothered.

You are correct in your assumption. You use "tar -xvjf iphone-clang-master-latest.tar.bz2" to expand and then just copy the resulting ScummVM.app folder over to your phone using Filezilla overwriting the existing files from v1.5.0.

Not quite right. The .dat files are external data files for various engines and required. The engines are compiled into the main ScummVM executable as this is a "static" build.
joanthedark

Post by joanthedark »

Forum says users with less than 5 posts cannot attach external links, since I am attaching pictures I will post it in the next one.
Last edited by joanthedark on Tue May 13, 2014 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joanthedark

Post by joanthedark »

Thank you for the links! Now I understand what they are.

I downloaded both and tried both versions and they do work, however, the "click-and-drag" mode on both versions seems to be harder to press in-game and easier on the first screen (as soon as you open the app where you can choose which game to play).

When I am able to enable the click-and-drag mode in-game, the mouse does not follow my movements, it is on the bottom lower part of the game (enabling it on first screen made it impossible to touch "Start game" on the top right of the screen because there was no way I could reach that unless I was in the default "mouse touchpad" mode)

Besides, I could not run Eye of the Beholder 2 on the new versions, this is what appears when I try to:

I decided to return to the older version so I had to reinstall the app from Cydia (1.5.0), now that I had Eye of the Beholder 2 on the iPhone I tried to run it to see what happens:

So I was wondering, maybe if I add the engine I would be able to play it on 1.5.0 with the accurate click-and-drag mode? (Although Eye of the Beholder 2 uses Kyra engine, same one as Lands of Lore, so I don't know how that would work).
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

I have no idea about that, or if it has got "worse" on iOS. I can only link you to the control instructions here:
http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/IPhone#Controls

If you think there is a regression here on iOS touchscreen behaviour, please file a bug and we will try to investigate.
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

No, firstly, even with engines built as dynamic plugins, you can't use the plugins from one version with another "main" version in any reliable way. Anyway, this is moot as the iOS binaries are built as a single static executable.

That error is very odd. My version of EOB2 is from The Forgotten Realms collection and does not have any file called level17.inf as the last one is level16.inf.

Firstly, please try with your EOB2 datafiles on your desktop machine i.e. with the latest Win32, Mac OSX or Linux build of ScummVM v1.7.0 from here:
http://buildbot.scummvm.org/builds.html

If you can replicate the same error there, then this is likely to be an issue with your EOB2 datafiles. You should recopy them from the original CD / disks.

If not, then ensure that the EOB2 datafiles are not corrupted during the file transfer over FTP to your phone. You need to ensure that Binary transfer mode is used.

The easiest way to diagnose this is to copy them to the phone and then back to your desktop machine, then do a file difference. If they differ, then check your Filezilla settings.

Finally, if you eliminate these two likely possibilities, then you will need to open a bug on our tracker and attach a file listing with MD5sums of your EOB2 datafiles as you either have a variant version or we have an issue with the iOS file access code in either the Kyra engine or iOS backend.
joanthedark

Post by joanthedark »

Thank you so much for your responses so far!

I managed to make Eye of the Beholder 2 work, I tried the same files I was using onto the PC version, and it said the same "level17" file thing, so I tried compiling new datafiles and... it kept saying the same, however, I removed all the saved files I was using (ScummVM gives you an option before starting the same if you want to use those DOS saves in the emulator), and this time it worked! So it was a problem with the saves it seems.

Although I still have the same problem with the "Click-and-drag" mode, I know how to trigger the mode, but in-game it is harder to activate it for some reason (easier in the "game selection" screen, first try and it works like a charm). This makes it impossible to start the game because the response is not the same I give with my finger, let me use a picture for better understanding:

The response of the mouse is way too off my finger in Click-and-drag mode, so there's no way I can start the game because when I try to, the mouse is on the middle of the screen, if I put my finger on the middle, the mouse will be on the bottom left corner, and so on.

This happens with both Old and Clang versions of ScummVM you provided

And just in case, I'm using iPhone 4s version 7.0.4

I do believe the problem is on the coding of X and Y axis on Click-and-drag mode, so if you could test it yourself with the downloads you provided and see if it happens to you as well then it would explain the problem occurs in these versions and its not something that is only occuring to me.
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

I'm afarid that I can't test any of these issues as I don't have any iOS devices.

I will see if I can ask one of the developers with an iOS device to test this.
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

joanthedark wrote:And just in case, I'm using iPhone 4s version 7.0.4

I do believe the problem is on the coding of X and Y axis on Click-and-drag mode, so if you could test it yourself with the downloads you provided and see if it happens to you as well then it would explain the problem occurs in these versions and its not something that is only occuring to me.
I can't reproduce this with my iPhone 3G in click-and-drag mode. Did you try changing the screen orientation by rotating your iPhone to see whether it's gone afterwards (i.e. try to change into portrait mode by holding your phone in the normal, i.e. "upwards", position and then rotate it back into landscape mode by "rotating" it either left or right).
joanthedark

Post by joanthedark »

Yes, I rotated the phone and the mouse is still inaccurate to my touch.

The previous screenshot was taken with the phone rotated 90º to the left, I tried rotating it 90º to the right and now the mouse does the total opposite to the screenshot (trying to touch the start button moves the mouse to the upper right corner of the screen)

Also, when I turn off click-and-drag mode afterwards, the mouse stays in the same mode for an unknown reason, even when the popup "click-and-drag mode off" appears on the screen.

This doesn't happen with the 1.5.0 version from Cydia store though, so I was wondering, can you guys provide a 1.6.0 version instead of a 1.7.0 to test it myself and see if this error happens there as well?
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

The buildbot provides a "stable" build of the current release branch i.e. v1.6.0 in addition to the "development" build from the master development branch:
http://buildbot.scummvm.org/snapshots/s ... est.tar.xz
joanthedark

Post by joanthedark »

Nope, same thing is happening on 1.6.0 oh well, thank you very much for your help anyways! It seems I am stuck with 1.5.0 for a long time and no Eotb2 for me.
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

joanthedark: So the "gross" bisection shows that this problem appears somewhere between v1.5.0 and v1.6.0.

If you would be willing to test some more versions, I can do a bisection with you to narrow down when this occurred and we can possibly locate why.

The first step will be for me to manually build a v1.5.0 debug version on the Buildbot toolchain and get you to test. If this build is "good" i.e. does not exhibit the problem, then we know we can replicate the issue and track it down.

If this build also exhibits the problem, then that is more of a pain as we may be looking at some kind of toolchain issue or something that the iOS porter has not communicated or documented for the buildbot maintainers.

Please indicate if you are willing to do this (it will probably take around 5-10 builds to be tested)...

If you are, it would probably be best to continue this discussion in realtime on IRC in #scummvm on freenode.