Croustibat (1993) - Coktel Vision

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

Unknown, but likely to be Findus / Nestle.

Unknown, but I think Strangerke may have. You should talk to him regarding this.

IANAL, but if they had originally released the game by giving it away free in copious copies at supermarkets, or if it was still for download on their website, or if the CD contained a clear "freeware" license, then this would be a moot point.

Unfortunately, that does not appear to be the case here since "You could send them the barcodes of the fish stick packages to try to win a PC and a copy of the game, or you could send them money to only buy the game right away." makes it clear that it was sold and not given away free.
JenniBee

Post by JenniBee »

digitall wrote: IANAL, but if they had originally released the game by giving it away free in copious copies at supermarkets, or if it was still for download on their website, or if the CD contained a clear "freeware" license, then this would be a moot point.

Unfortunately, that does not appear to be the case here since "You could send them the barcodes of the fish stick packages to try to win a PC and a copy of the game, or you could send them money to only buy the game right away." makes it clear that it was sold and not given away free.
Actually, reading the poster, it looks like the promotion was set up to give 10,000 copies of the game away. It sounds like it was one of those free for the cost of postage deals.
Strangerke
ScummVM Developer

Post by Strangerke »

Yep, but Findus refuses to make it freeware (though I doubt they understood what I was asking for), so for the moment it's still copyrighted and we can't distribute it.

But at least Findus answered with a written letter... I was positively surprised. Maybe if they receive a lot of requests they may change their mind, if they understand it's a free advertising for their product...
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

Strangerke wrote:Yep, but Findus refuses to make it freeware [...], so for the moment it's still copyrighted
If they were to make it freeware it would still be copyrighted, right? ;)
Strangerke
ScummVM Developer

Post by Strangerke »

Yes, indeed :P
Marcin1998
Got a warning

Post by Marcin1998 »

digitall wrote:Marcin1998: Rule #0:
http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=17

Unless we can get this released as Freeware by the current rights holder, downloading this would not be legal.
Then, can i see a small gameplay of it ? :?
scoriae

Post by scoriae »

what contact info was used to contact Findus? I'd like to give it a crack. I have gotten over 50 games released as freeware for archive.org by talking to various developers and publishers. A lot of times one has to be very careful with the wording, as those who respond to these sort of things don't understand the concept of a 10-15 year old game that is nigh-unplayable on todays pc's let alone the fact that the game in question is generally impossible to find as well.

A carefully worded explanation of exactly what is being requested and how it plays out can do wonders in a situation like this.
JenniBee

Post by JenniBee »

The rights to Findus now belong to Findus Group (formerly known as Foodvest), so it would probably be best to contact them about it. You can find their contact information here.
Last edited by JenniBee on Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scoriae

Post by scoriae »

thank you. the wheeling and dealing has begun. I'll keep you guys posted.
lazylazyjoe

Post by lazylazyjoe »

Out of curiosity, what were some of the games you helped get on archive.org?
i appreciate the effort as I have tried many of the games there. I also made use of all the Old time radio broadcasts ,newsreels,movie , etc. There is so much data available there; plus there's the wayback machine.
scoriae

Post by scoriae »

In regards to the freeware stuff, I most recently was in contact with Michael Abrash and Dan Illowsky. Got all of their games released as freeware. Master Miner was a huge find as that game was not available even through illicit means before Dan sent me a copy.

I don't have a list of all the games I have gotten released as freeware, as I have also gotten over 6,000 other games uploaded on there. Can't exactly discuss that here though.