Some help please!!!

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Android port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Jwrath

Some help please!!!

Post by Jwrath »

I've tried some older versions of ScummVM on my android cell phone and every game worked perfectly.

However there was one issue.
The emulator works exactly like it's PC counterpart, meaning that you have to move the cursor to the screen in order to interact.

Is there an option in the android port to press the screen and interact, instead of having to move the cursor?

For example, in Day of the Tentacle you have to get the cursor to Look at and then to the item in order to have it looked.
In Full Throttle you have to keep pressing the screen in order to make the skull tattoo interaction menu to appear and then select what you want to do.

That's easy if you do it with a mouse on PC, but it's a killer when you have to drag the cursor on a touchscreen.

Is there a way to bypass the cursor and press the touchscreen wherever I want, or at least make the cursor go instantly to the point I press, instead of dragging it around?

digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

Yes. The input mode is bodged to the Mixed AdLib/MIDI mode checkbox, see:
http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Android#Touchscreen

This should be noted in the Android README and Quickstart guide... Have you read these?
Jwrath

Post by Jwrath »

It says "The touchscreen can be used in two modes"

1) Direct mode
2) Touchpad mode

"The port currently misses its own configuration dialog, the mode can
be toggled with the "Mixed AdLib/MIDI mode" on the MIDI tab in ScummVM's
own option dialog."

Although I don't see how MIDI changes the way cursor can move, I've tried it but nothing happened.
I still have to drag the cursor around in order to interact.
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

<snip>
It says \"The touchscreen can be used in two modes\"

1) Direct mode
2) Touchpad mode

How can I switch between those two modes?
I don\'t see any option for this on ScummVM.
</snip>

As I said, please read the documentation provided... I admit the option is counter-intuitive... as it's location in the GUI is a bodge... but a well documented one.
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

You may need to exit and restart ScummVM for the change to take effect.

The difference is that in Direct mode, the cursor moves to an _absolute_ position (like a graphics tablet where the tablet matches to the screen), whereas in Touchpad (relative) mode, it moves to a position relative to the current position of the cursor based on your input motion (like a mouse).

See here, the paragraph starting "Pointing devices":
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Input_device
Jwrath

Post by Jwrath »

Yeah I didn't notice that I should restart. I did and it works perfectly.

Thank you digitall and thank you ScummVM for this wonderful trip to memory lane.