WME Testing-thread

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

somaen
ScummVM Developer

WME Testing-thread

Post by somaen »

So, the Wintermute-engine has seen another year of development in ScummVM, and now it's time to for me to ask for a little bit of help again:

A few games are known to work, but could do with some thorough testing, which is why I need someone to test the following games thoroughly, and report back here with any issues. If the games work fine, please do tell what platform and ScummVM-version you ran them on.

The following games have been tested atleast once before, but needs a thorough playtest:

Freeware games:

Non-Freeware games: (Available for digital purchase atleast a few places on the net). Also, the following games have not been tested AT ALL by yours truly, it would be truly helpfull if anyone wants to try to do a full playthrough to verify whether these games are completable:

Once again, these games are not tested at all, so they may, or may not work very well

Freeware games (not tested before): If you're interested in testing, just grab a copy of the freeware-games from their respective homepage-links above (or in the case of the non-freeware-games, buy a copy). Then download a nightly build of ScummVM, and test the game. Report any issues to the ScummVM Bug-Tracker, in the group "Wintermute". As I said before, I would also love to hear in this thread if you played through the game without any issues at all.

EDIT: Additionally we are also in need of screenshots from all the games listed above, so if you can, and want, feel free to submit screenshots following our screenshot guidelines.
CaptainJei

Post by CaptainJei »

Without having played it before, I played through Rosemary without any noticeable issues. Good work!
misterhands

Post by misterhands »

So far I have only launched Rosemary, but I have some bugs to report. :wink: Look for these in the lovely new tracker !

I have noticed a couple problems with the theora player.
Firstly it seems to be quite slow. When playing the intro video, my CPU utilization is maxed on one core.
In the original it's only half of that.
And in any video player like MPC it's only a couple percents when playing that same video. This seems to be a known issue.

Probably because of that slowness, in ScummVM in that intro video I get some sound stuttering every 3-4 seconds.
And some graphical flickering, also periodic.

Also the video looks different than the original, the text is less readable, less clear. But the video looks sharper. The original and dedicated video players seem to apply some processing like some blur or anti-aliasing, but not your implementation.

So should I make a report for this somaen?
CaptainJei

Post by CaptainJei »

I completely forgot to tell you that I played through Rosemary on version 1.7.0git3957-g7c210e0 (Nov 8 2013 19:15:15), win32
misterhands

Post by misterhands »

Finished Rosemary, aside from this warning when loading a save, I have noticed no other problem:
WARNING: Error seeking in Vorbis stream (-131)!

That was with 1.7.0git4055-gaabadad.
rivadolmo

Adventure Creation

Post by rivadolmo »

:roll:
Do you think we may use an advanced engine like wintermute and create..create..and create? :lol: and then play hrough Scummvm on all platforms? :shock:
somaen
ScummVM Developer

Post by somaen »

That's the point, however, two caveats:

1: The way your game works in Wintermute, is the way it's meant to work, if it does something different in ScummVM, then that's wrong, so don't rely on ScummVM during development. The reference platform is, and will continue to be, the original WME-engine.

2: If you use the heavier parts of WME, then you probably won't be able to run your game on anything but the faster desktop platforms. Currently that means: Avoid video, avoid heavy scaling, transparency, blending, rotations, and particles. Remember; some of our supported platforms are not that fast.

Oh and 3: The engine isn't yet released in a stable build, so for now you'll have to wait.
rivadolmo

A new era is coming...

Post by rivadolmo »

:o
..I'm eager to try some simple stuff then... :D

thank you for this open door to the creativity !
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

rivadolmo: Please refer to the Fangames HOWTO as this should answer any other questions. If not, then please indicate here so we can improve it:
http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/HOWTO-Fangames
Blokatt

Post by Blokatt »

Dead City works flawlessly, I did a complete walkthrough. But there is a one problem - it doesn't support the original czech version. Can you add it? (it doesn't even show up in the menu when adding the game) It's a shame because I'm quite used to it.
rivadolmo

Post by rivadolmo »

ok thank you :wink:
somaen
ScummVM Developer

Post by somaen »

Blokatt wrote:Dead City works flawlessly, I did a complete walkthrough. But there is a one problem - it doesn't support the original czech version.
Ah, fixed it. The other languages have their own language.dcp file in there, but in the case of Czech, the data was contained in data.dcp. Now it will detect Czech too, letting you select language on detection.

On a different note, I recently added SOME support for Bold fonts (yes, forgot about that one), which should make JULIA and Chivalry look a lot better.
RP

Post by RP »

I tested Five Magical Amulets (the only game from the list that I played before).
First I tried Debian 64bit latest development build - it didn't recognize the game. I also tried Rosemary - it didn't recognize it either.
So I tried Win32 latest development build (running on Windows XP) - it recognized the game, but the displayed name was a bit weird - the name was in czech and there were other characters around the name (I can't check the exact name at the moment).
I could choose a language from a list of languages, although the game only supports english and czech, but regardless of what I chose, the game was in english.
While playing the game, I didn't notice any bugs until the beginning of the third part - after being teleported to the ice land. When you walk to the left, the screen should scroll and show you more of the land, but it doesn't scroll here, so I can't play further.
somaen
ScummVM Developer

Post by somaen »

RP: Could you tell me where you got your copy of the game from?

Does it detect as (fangame)?

Also, could you give me a list of the folder-contents for the game?
RP

Post by RP »

The version I tested was from a magazine DVD.
I downloaded the version from developer's website to check the differences.
The list of the files is the same, but the following data files have different content: data.dcp, czech.dcp, english.dcp.

The downloaded version is identified like this:
ID: 5ma-win
Name: Five Magical Amulets (Windows/English)
Language: English (can't be changed)

The version from DVD is identified like this:
ID: wmefan-ff-win
Name: /str6604/Pìt Kouzelných Amuletù (fangame) (Windows)
Language: (various languages can be chosen)

The name should be "Pět Kouzelných Amuletů" and not "Pìt Kouzelných Amuletù" - the text should read from the 1250 codepage, but it's read from the 1252 codepage.

The following is written to the console when running the DVD version:

Code: Select all

User picked target 'wmefan-ff-win' (gameid 'wintermute')...
  Looking for a plugin supporting this gameid... Wintermute
  Starting 'Wintermute engine game'
The game in 'C:\Games\Five magical amulets\' seems to be unknown.
Please, report the following data to the ScummVM team along with name
of the game you tried to add and its version/language/etc.:
  {"english.dcp", 0, "d261509daf3e5e4c63be2190e69b5e3e", 893681},
  {"data.dcp", 0, "0697c468222479e431a9c6c25a805203", 163316778},

WARNING: SearchSet::add: archive 'data.dcp' already present!
WARNING: SearchSet::add: archive 'patch1.dcp' already present!
I noticed following:
When I load the savegame from the beginning of the ice land and I go left, the screen doesn't scroll and I can't play further - the same as when I played it.
When I load an earlier savegame, play it until the ice land and go to the left, the screen does scroll and I can play further. I'll report later if I can finish the game.

Edit:
I finished the game, without any other problems.