WME Testing-thread

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

lillemask

Post by lillemask »

Nope, no matter where I put the Arial font file, the text in Scummvm still looks like in the screenshot above. It seems to be using a bold Arial, unlike the original interpreter. And a regular-weight Cambria in the photo album, where the original uses a bold variant. Coincidence or a mix-up in the code somewhere?
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

Helga Deep in Trouble (Windows/English)

Crash pretty early in the game making coffee (bug #6580)

(AmigaOS4 - PPC - SDL - BE)

Plus the scene switches take up to ten seconds to finish (lots of black screens in the game)
Last edited by Raziel on Mon May 05, 2014 1:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

Escape from the Mansion (1.3/Windows/English)

Completed. No bugs

(AmigaOS 4 - PPC - SDL - BE)

A question...is there still interest in getting WME games tested?
There doesn't seem to be a lot of noise here and the WME testing Wiki page isn't updated either.
Just wondering...
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

The Kite (1.1/Windows/English)

Completable, no bugs

The scrolling is slow in both the hallway and on the roof.
While the hallway is bearable, the roof scrolling is not (probably because of the parallax scrolling of, i believe, three planes?)

Very sad game, too short
somaen
ScummVM Developer

Post by somaen »

lillemask wrote:Nope, no matter where I put the Arial font file, the text in Scummvm still looks like in the screenshot above. It seems to be using a bold Arial, unlike the original interpreter. And a regular-weight Cambria in the photo album, where the original uses a bold variant. Coincidence or a mix-up in the code somewhere?
Just for the record: This usually stems from not having FreeType2 enabled in the compile, which we didn't have for the OS X builds earlier.
Raziel wrote:A question...is there still interest in getting WME games tested?
There doesn't seem to be a lot of noise here and the WME testing Wiki page isn't updated either.
Just wondering...
Yes, yes it is, I just haven't had time to follow up on this lately, testing is very much appreciated, even if the corresponding bug fixes and wiki updates may be a bit delayed from my side.

I'm sorry I haven't had time to follow up on this lately, but I think I will have some time when the semester ends to tie up the loose threads here a bit more. (Which should be around early July). Untill then, I'd really appreciate getting more work added to my backlog through this thread (yes, you read that right :)
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

Ok, so i'll try to play more games and report back :-)

One that is already on the bug tracker

Ghost in the Sheet (Windows/English)

Can be fully played upto the end where it stops after displaying the final cutscenes (after you free a spirit) - bug #6533

lillemask

Post by lillemask »

FreeType2 is definitely enabled in the builds I have tested. Without it the game would complain about missing fonts and then crash, remember?
somaen
ScummVM Developer

Post by somaen »

Right, Arial Bold and Arial are not the same fonts, IIRC, i actually only support bold-selecting fonts for Arial, as I had to hard-code it, try naming the file arialb.ttf
lillemask

Post by lillemask »

Sorry, no difference. Just to be clear, the problem is that Arial (used in dialogue and descriptions) is bold in Scummvm when it is not bold in the original Wintermute interpreter, and that Cambria (used in the photo album) is not bold in Scummvm while it is bold in Wintermute.
somaen
ScummVM Developer

Post by somaen »

Hmm, according to a few tests I did, Rosemary doesn't seem to use Arial at all, just the two fonts that it comes bundled with (cambria and framd, albeit not the ones placed in fonts/).

The second interesting tidbit, is that none of the texts in the images you showed seem to ask for a bold font. (This might be an error on the ScummVM side, but it's even more interesting that some of the text actually is bold on the ScummVM side...)

Interesting.
lillemask

Post by lillemask »

Yes, my bad. The font that Scummvm uses in dialogue and descriptions is Franklin Gothic Medium, the actual font (framd.ttf) in the game directory. The original interpreter is using something else that might be Arial.
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

Bickadoodle (unknown version) (Windows) --> version 1.1
Bickadoodle (Windows/English)

Not completable

Bug #6594 filed

Game is playable, but as soon as there are *any* background animations going on it's slowing down to a crawl (see "Moat", "Castle" and "Spider Cave" scenes).
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

Thats it from me for now...

I still have some games to test (Corrosion, Eineinhalb Ritter, JULIA, Oknytt, Reversion, The Shine of a Star) but those have either show stopper bugs or are full blown games with lots of animations going on and as such dead slow...

Will continue testing once the bugs are fixed ;-)
and/or the MultiRect update has been merged

Thanks to all for that new engine, i didn't even knew there were done so many adventure games...i love them :-)
misterhands

Post by misterhands »

I've completed 5 Magical Amulets, Dead City and the white chamber with some minor issues, see the tracker.

Dead City does have a number of glitches but they occur in the original.

the white chamber is pretty good... if you like SF, anime, gore and severed limbs, that should do the trick :)
I've seen all endings and various easter eggs, no further issues.
Mustrum

Post by Mustrum »

1 1/2 Ritter
1 1/2 Ritter: Auf der Suche nach der hinreißenden Herzelinde (Windows/German)
1 1/2 Knights: In Search of the Ravishing Princess Herzelinde (inofficial title in English)

Developed by Daedalic Entertainment
Platform: Windows
Language : German (only)

Completable, no bugs found
Speech, subitles, save/load game (very slow) working perfectly and full playable.

two minimal issues:
  • No Umlaut in ScummVM ingame Load/Save menu
    that are Autosave from game
    – Auto-Save: Hühnerroulette correctly Hühnerroulette
    – Auto-Save: Burgverlieà correctly Burgverließ
  • Graphic glitches in Minigame ›Hühnerroulette‹
Played with
ScummVM 1.8.0git2786-gaef874c (Mar 2 2015 05:57:11)
Linux aptosid x86_64

Screenshots with icon on patch tracker