WME Testing-thread

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

lillemask

Post by lillemask »

Sure, it says
User picked target 'rosemary-win' (gameid 'wintermute')...
Looking for a plugin supporting this gameid... Wintermute
Starting 'Wintermute engine game'
WARNING: BaseFontTT::InitFont - Couldn't load font: fonts\framd.ttf!
WARNING: BaseFontTT::InitFont - Couldn't load font: fonts\cambria.ttc!
when

[SPOILER!]

entering the well.
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

lillemask wrote:Sure, it says
User picked target 'rosemary-win' (gameid 'wintermute')...
Looking for a plugin supporting this gameid... Wintermute
Starting 'Wintermute engine game'
when

[SPOILER!]

entering the well.
Both fonts should have been in the package of the game, they are in mine
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

Rosemary (Windows/English) completed
(I know it has already been completed twice, but i found some bugs) :-)

Reported:
#6570 - Save thumbnail bug
#6571 - Flickering images bug
#6572 - Sprite flaw
#6573 - Font error

(AmigaOS4 - PPC - SDL - BE)

Too bad this game is so short
Last edited by Raziel on Mon May 05, 2014 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

Rhiannon - Curse of the four branches (Windows/English) completed.

One bug found and reported:
#6569 - Animation freeze in final outtro

Last edited by Raziel on Mon May 05, 2014 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lillemask

Post by lillemask »

Both fonts should have been in the package of the game, they are in mine
Yes, they are in mine too. Except that one is called CAMBRIAB.TTF instead of cambria.ttc. And it complains about not finding both of them and then crashes.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

cambriab.ttf is the bold version of cambria.ttf, so it's not exactly the same font
lillemask

Post by lillemask »

cambriab.ttf is the bold version of cambria.ttf, so it's not exactly the same font
Well, CAMBRIAB.TTF is the font included with the game.

Does really nobody else have this problem? Can everybody else enter the well?

EDIT: The game exit is probably unrelated to the font warning, as the warning is printed on game start, not when entering the well.

EDIT AGAIN: So in fact I have two seemingly unrelated questions: how do I make Scummvm recognize the fonts in the rosemary/fonts folder, and why does it crash when I enter the well?

AND AGAIN: I also briefly tried running Rosemary with Scummvm under Windows, and that was a very different experience. It started with an intro movie that doesn't show up on Mac, and it used a different font for all text. On Mac the text is vertically misaligned, but not on Windows. I haven't played to the well on Windows yet, but I'm pretty confident it won't crash.
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

lillemask wrote:
Well, CAMBRIAB.TTF is the font included with the game.

Does really nobody else have this problem? Can everybody else enter the well?

EDIT: The game exit is probably unrelated to the font warning, as the warning is printed on game start, not when entering the well.

EDIT AGAIN: So in fact I have two seemingly unrelated questions: how do I make Scummvm recognize the fonts in the rosemary/fonts folder, and why does it crash when I enter the well?

AND AGAIN: I also briefly tried running Rosemary with Scummvm under Windows, and that was a very different experience. It started with an intro movie that doesn't show up on Mac, and it used a different font for all text. On Mac the text is vertically misaligned, but not on Windows. I haven't played to the well on Windows yet, but I'm pretty confident it won't crash.
I can confirm that i have CAMBRIAB.TTF and framd.ttf in /fonts.

I can enter the well, it does not crash and plays to the end

I don't know why it crashes for you, have you tried to recopy the fonts? Maybe they are borked?
Here are the md5sums so you can double-check:
a8d23046bc8d38ee78b38e95ec47f9e5 framd.ttf 135984 bytes
86ba1018403540d77974b981a254f10c CAMBRIAB.TTF 331916 bytes

You could also try to get ahold of a newer ScummVM version, maybe it was a bug already fixed?

I haven't tested the games with the original .exe, so i don't know how it "should" look, but the game is completable (apart from the bugs in the former post) for me
somaen
ScummVM Developer

Post by somaen »

The OS X builds were built without Theora and TTF-support, this is being worked on getting fixed. I'll report back when the problem is resolved.
lillemask

Post by lillemask »

Thanks! I suspected as much, so I compiled my own Scummvm build with Theora and Freetype2 support, and now it works as intended.

EDIT: I also tried running the official native Wintermute Windows binary of Rosemary side by side with Windows Scummvm. In the official binary the fullscreen option was grayed out, so I ran both in windows next to each other.

The first apparent difference is that the intro and ending movies look a lot less "pixellated" in the original Wintermute interpreter, like there is some kind of bilinear filtering going on. This makes the text in the movies more pleasant to read than in Scummvm.

A similar thing can be seen when Rosemary walks towards the well: as her sprite is scaled down it becomes visibly pixellated in Scummvm, but remains smooth in the original interpreter.

The original interpreter expands the text boxes downwards when there is more than one line of text, so that both lines fit comfortably. In Scummvm the second line will touch the lower edge of the box, as Raziel reported above.

The "missing words" in the photo album are underlined in the original interpreter.

Mr. Thimble's name is broken up into two lines on his album page. Only the top line, "Mr.", is shown in Scummvm, as seen in Raziel's screenshot.

Apart from that Scummvm seems to run Rosemary exactly like the original. I could not see the sprite glitch that Raziel reported, and the flashing edges around the album icon is obviously an intentional effect. In fact Scummvm has nicer font smoothing than the original, and can run fullscreen.
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

Paintaria (Window/English) completed.

No bugs.

The only thing is that the save games grows exceptionally big making saving in the "later" screens a PITA.
i.e. saving at the fairy tale happening produced a save state that was 923.778 bytes big packed and 9.499.548 bytes big unpacked and took 18(!!!) minutes to finish..
Last edited by Raziel on Mon May 05, 2014 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
somaen
ScummVM Developer

Post by somaen »

lillemask:

What font did you play with in ScummVM? An exact side-by-side comparison would only be possible if you used the exact fonts that the original game used (presumably you'd also need a copy of Arial.ttf, as the replacement we use in ScummVM is not exactly equal).

The movies in ScummVM are currently not scaled with any filtering applied (a nearest neighbour solution is applied if the movie has lower/higher resolution than the target screen area). There is code in place for allowing bilinear filtering, however it is currently not enabled, as I prefer to get the framerate up a bit in the simple case, before increasing the load even further. I might change my mind on this later though, or look into making it a user-choice.

A similar case is relevant for the sprite scaling, as it is currently only done with a nearest neighbour solution. This is probably even more visible in Dirty Split, where the main character at times will go quite close to the screen, whereas the sprite is sized for being at a midway distance.

Underlining of text is currently not implemented in ScummVM, and is a known issue.

As for the line-breaking issue, is the text otherwise similar in shape and size? It sounds like a new issue that I'm glad you raised, so that I can look into it.

Raziel: Does the savegames grow big depending on how many times you've saved, or are they big late game anyhow?
lillemask

Post by lillemask »

Here's at least a quick and dirty screenshot comparison. You'll have to excuse those extra pixels outside the edges.

I'll see if I can work out later how to make Scummvm use the same Arial.ttf as the original interpreter. Now it uses whatever is default. I suppose in particular the second issue might be fixed with a different font.

Original engine expands the text panel downwards:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/246 ... mute_1.PNG

Here is what it looks like in Scummvm:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/246 ... mmvm_1.PNG

Original engine has "Mr. Thimble" on two lines:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/246 ... mute_2.PNG

Scummvm only shows the first ("Mr."):
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/246 ... mmvm_2.PNG
somaen
ScummVM Developer

Post by somaen »

To use the same arial.ttf as the original interpreter, you need to copy arial.ttf from your fonts-folder (/Library/Fonts on OS X, Something like C:\Windows\Fonts on windows) to the folder that has the gamedata.

This is because ScummVM searches for fonts in the gamedata-folder FIRST.
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

somaen wrote:Raziel:
Does the savegames grow big depending on how many times you've saved, or are they big late game anyhow?
The savegames grow bigger only when one progresses in the game.

If you save for example three times in the same place it will stay the same size, but if you save at the first screen and i.e. inside the house the house savegame will grow much bigger in comparision.

I don't know what kind of information apart from the progress, inventory and room is saved, but something seems to be written exponentially or so it looks