GRIM FANDANGO

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Settis

GRIM FANDANGO

Post by Settis »

Hi,

Please, does anyone know if there are some emulators capable of running grim fandango on WinXP/DirectX 9.0 PC?

What's RESIDUALWIN32?

THANKS!!!
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

Since it is a Windows game, it actually should ran natively. At least it does on my Windows 2000, DirectX 9c.
If there is a problem with it, you should tell what happens exactly. Then, it's more likely, someone can help.
Settis

Post by Settis »

I know , I know , that's not the way to solve problems....

I insert the cd, I run the installation: everything goes fine. I try to start playing. Nothing happens. No loading screen. No black. NO. No Grim Fandango.

I tried almost everything... I say "almost" since there should be (I hope) a way to run Grim Fandango on my pc...as I used to when I had Windows Millennium installed and not that bluish gummish WinXP....

WHY DON'T YOU COME BACK TO WINME, PERHAPS ON A SECOND HARD DRIVE OR ANOTHER PARTITION?

Because my videocard (ATI RADEON X600 PRO) doesn't allow me to. It requires WinXP/Win2000. I've installed on a second hard drive windows 2000 but Grim Fandango still doesn't run on it: directX too new (9.0c). No way to downgrade.

ScummVM doesn't offer anything, sadly.

I've patched, Compatibility Modes, I've copied everything... no way to play that marvellous game of my high school time!!!

Someone can help?
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

You tried all the latest drivers? Does a resolution of 640x480 with 16 bit color work correctly?

If you really want to try an emulator, you might give Bochs a try.
It emulates an entire PC, therefor you can install any Windows version in it. In fact, you have to if you want to run any Windows software with it. The graphic drivers comming with Windows should work with it.
glokidd

Post by glokidd »

Im not sure if this wil help you but you might want to try the grim fandango launcher available mixnmojo quick and easy
http://quick.mixnmojo.com/software.php
Settis

Post by Settis »

I've already tried the launcher but It didn't work... but, again... what's ResidualWin32?
MetaFox

Post by MetaFox »

Settis wrote:I've already tried the launcher but It didn't work... but, again... what's ResidualWin32?
http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Residual