Simon the Sorcerer: Dwarf Mine

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's iPhone port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

dizzistef

Simon the Sorcerer: Dwarf Mine

Post by dizzistef »

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask the question...

I went to the centre of the forest, wore the beard, had the right password, and eventually followed the guard down the barrel room, but when I first used the feather with the snoring dwarf and tried to pick up the key, Simon said "I don't see the point". Now when I try to use the feather with the snoring dwarf, nothing happens at all.

I really don't want to have to start it all over again because I already went ahead to the goblin fortress and the took the coins from the dragon's cave, but I need the extra coins from the gem so that Simon can be invested...

Is starting the game over the only solution or is there another way to get that key?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Simon the Sorcerer: Dwarf Mine

Post by eriktorbjorn »

dizzistef wrote: I went to the centre of the forest, wore the beard, had the right password, and eventually followed the guard down the barrel room, but when I first used the feather with the snoring dwarf and tried to pick up the key, Simon said "I don't see the point". Now when I try to use the feather with the snoring dwarf, nothing happens at all.
Odd. The only way I could get the "I don't see the point" line was if I tried to move the key, rather than picking it up, and I can't imagine that's what you did. I couldn't reproduce the second half of the bug at all.

Maybe it depends on the exact version of the game, or maybe it has to do with the iPhone version of ScummVM, which I have no way of running? Filing a bug report and attaching the savegame is the only thing I can suggest, but unfortunatley it's been quite a while since I saw the maintainer of that game engine around.
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

Eriktorbjorn: There is a known bad memory access in that scene:
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=de ... tid=418820

The valgrind trace is attached, but this can result in bad game state.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

digitall wrote:Eriktorbjorn: There is a known bad memory access in that scene:
I do remember seeing that bug report, though I don't get any Valgrind warnings if I use my own old savegame at the dwarf mine, so I have no idea what's up with the savegame in that bug report.
dizzistef

Post by dizzistef »

Thanks guys. I definitely tried to pick up the key... And I'm not sure if it is a bug because I had started the game before and got as far as the Dwarf Mine, but accidentally touched "new" and not "resume". The first time everything worked fine...

I guess I will have to start it again, but will let you know if it happens again.

Thanks for your help!