ScummVM 1.6.0 is Near

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

JenniBee

Post by JenniBee »

Game: 3 Skulls of the Toltecs
Game version: DOS/English
ScummVM version: 1.7.0git21-g43791c5
Operating system: Haiku

It crashed during the peace pipe scene, when not filling the pipe with weak tobacco.

I filed bug report #3613032.

EDIT: Changed because was told the bug doesn't prevent the game from being completable. I was able to get past the scene by reloading the save and filling the tobacco pipe.
greencis

Hopkins FBI - Win95 English and Russian versions

Post by greencis »

Game: Hopkins FBI (hopkins-win)
Game Version: Windows/English (reported in bug #3612406)
ScummVM Version: ScummVM 1.7.0git42-g2474726 (May 14 2013 06:08:53)
Operating System: Windows XP 32bit; Android 4.0.3

It's completable. No problems detected.

Game: Hopkins FBI (hopkins-win-ru)
Game Version: Windows/Russian (reported in bug #3613068)
ScummVM Version: ScummVM 1.7.0git42-g2474726 (May 14 2013 06:08:53)
Operating System: Windows XP 32bit; Android 4.0.3

It's completable. I've tested this version very scrupulously, I've clicked each object on each location :) No major problems found, except for one. In original Russian version, a picture for "PUSH" cursor is corrupted and if you point the cursor at phone keys, game crashes. So, the original Russian version can't be completed. But in ScummVM it works well and it just shows no cursor when you selected "PUSH" cursor. I've already read about this problem in the Internet. Some people who had this copy of Hopkins FBI suggested to replace some Russian files with English files. This action fixes PUSH cursor, but rolls back Russian texts in game to English.
Strangerke
ScummVM Developer

Post by Strangerke »

Greencis: Thanks a LOT for your tests! I'll add on the wiki that we fixed another original bug, it's a really great news!
greencis

Post by greencis »

It's a pleasure to help you! :D

Please fix information about original Russian bug in the wiki this way: "The original Russian Win95 version crashed when selected a Push icon." I mean, if you select PUSH cursor (on any object, not only on phone keys, although it's the first cursor shown on phone keys), the game simply freezes and shows a MessageBox with "Application error." It doesn't even change a previous cursor, it freezes with an old cursor, and PUSH cursor doesn't appear.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

greencis wrote:It's a pleasure to help you! :D

Please fix information about original Russian bug in the wiki this way: "The original Russian Win95 version crashed when selected a Push icon." I mean, if you select PUSH cursor (on any object, not only on phone keys, although it's the first cursor shown on phone keys), the game simply freezes and shows a MessageBox with "Application error." It doesn't even change a previous cursor, it freezes with an old cursor, and PUSH cursor doesn't appear.
That sounds like a broken data file, and the game just couldn't have been released like that, since it makes it unplayable. Where did you find this version? Is it a fan made translation?
greencis

Post by greencis »

md5 wrote:and the game just couldn't have been released like that, since it makes it unplayable
Unfortunately, it could. As I've already mentioned, people complained about this problem on different sites. I couldn't find official patch for fixing it, but I saw some users' patches, where they suggested to replace some broken Russian files with English.
md5 wrote:Where did you find this version?
I've bought this version on CD. I gave my friends the CD with game, but recently I got it back.

UPD: I forgot to add that I've tested original Russian version under Windows XP and I didn't test it under Windows 95/98. Therefore I can't say if this bug occured under Win95, the target OS. But it does occur under XP :)
Muyfa666

Post by Muyfa666 »

I have the UK version of Hopkins FBI. For this version, there is a "gore" patch to enable all the censored violence. Is this patch somehow intregrated in the ScummVM build or will it need to be added somehow?
Muyfa666

Post by Muyfa666 »

Was there any way to get the "Hopkins4"-version to detect? My ScummVM build will not recognize it. I'm fairly sure it's the UK version as it is censored and all.
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

Muyfa666 wrote:Was there any way to get the "Hopkins4"-version to detect? My ScummVM build will not recognize it. I'm fairly sure it's the UK version as it is censored and all.
If you're running under Windows, you need to provide the MD5 details from the console window for us to add it in.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Muyfa666 wrote:I have the UK version of Hopkins FBI. For this version, there is a "gore" patch to enable all the censored violence. Is this patch somehow intregrated in the ScummVM build or will it need to be added somehow?
I could be wrong, but as far as I know the only difference between the censored and uncensored data files is the BLOOD.DAT file, which is just a one-line text file. I think all the patch does is to change that file. If the seventh and eighth characters (i.e. the ones right after the "=") are "uk" or "UK", it's censored. Otherwise, it's not. If the file isn't there at all, ScummVM defaults to uncensored.
Muyfa666

Post by Muyfa666 »

dreammaster wrote:
Muyfa666 wrote:Was there any way to get the "Hopkins4"-version to detect? My ScummVM build will not recognize it. I'm fairly sure it's the UK version as it is censored and all.
If you're running under Windows, you need to provide the MD5 details from the console window for us to add it in.
MD5 from what? I mean the game is not found...?
Muyfa666

Post by Muyfa666 »

eriktorbjorn wrote:
Muyfa666 wrote:I have the UK version of Hopkins FBI. For this version, there is a "gore" patch to enable all the censored violence. Is this patch somehow intregrated in the ScummVM build or will it need to be added somehow?
I could be wrong, but as far as I know the only difference between the censored and uncensored data files is the BLOOD.DAT file, which is just a one-line text file. I think all the patch does is to change that file. If the seventh and eighth characters (i.e. the ones right after the "=") are "uk" or "UK", it's censored. Otherwise, it's not. If the file isn't there at all, ScummVM defaults to uncensored.
Great. I'll try it as soon as I get the game running... ;-)
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

Muyfa666 wrote:MD5 from what? I mean the game is not found...?
Sometimes, as long as your version has the same files that are being looked for, the console window will give you details of a possible game engine and MD5 that would need to be added for the game to run. Presuming that the game data remains in the same format, we can then just add in the reported MD5 to support the version.

Otherwise, I'm getting a sense of deja vu here. If you made the same request a while back, I suggested making a feature request ticket with a full recursive directory listing of the CD attached so we can have a better idea if your version has a standard layout, or requires something different, like manual installation first.
Muyfa666

Post by Muyfa666 »

'lo and behold, they game does work. I didn't figure it would need "hopkins.exe" to detect. Very weird. When I copied it over with the .EXE file it detected alright. The game says v4.0 briefly at the start. Does that say anything?

It is uncensored alright. :-)

On a side note, am I blind, or is the data file entry for Hopkins missing? I have no idea what files the game wants.

Also, it seems like the game defaults to uncensored whether blood.dat with the uk-line is present or not. This is good, but is it correct? Should the game always default to uncensored?
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

The testing period ended on May 26, 2013. Thanks to all who helped out!