Sidebars flickering in 4:3 mode

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Android port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

nrq

Sidebars flickering in 4:3 mode

Post by nrq »

Hello,

I have a bit of a problem which makes ScummVM, well, unusable for me:

usually, in 4:3 mode, there should be black bars left and right of the picture, right? Well, they're not there for me, instead I have a "garbled" bar on the left and repeating screen content from the game on the right bar.

I'm running ScummVM 1.5.0 from Play Store on a Nexus 4, running Paranoid Android/AOSPA 3.1. I've already tried the "Disable HW Overlays" option from the developers menu, which didn't help. Couldn't find anyone else with this issue, can anyone help me?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT:
Just tried the latest Nightly, still the same flickering/garbled sidebars. :(
nrq

Post by nrq »

I've taken a couple of Screenshots to illustrate my problem:

Screenshot #1
Screenshot #2
Screenshot #3

This is on a Nexus 4, AOSPA 3.1 (Android 4.2.2), Franco Kernel r90, ScummVM from Market and Nightly ScummVM.

Settings are:
  • Graphics mode set to "Linear filtering"
  • Aspect ratio correction enabled
  • Fullscreen mode disabled
  • Mixed Adlib/MIDID mode enabled (-> direct mouse input)
  • GUI Renderer set to Antialiased Renderer.

Thanks for your time.
goetz

Post by goetz »

Well, this seems to occur when you disable the "Full Screen Mode" -- just confirmed this on my stock Nexus 4.

On the other hand, why don't you use the Full Screen mode? I tried a bit of Monkey 1 on Nexus 4 with Full Screen mode enabled and it looked nice using the full screen width, not ugly and stretched horizontally. So maybe you could enjoy these game even more this way? Just a thought ... ;)
nrq

Post by nrq »

Thanks for confirming it's not just me.

I know it's ridiculous, but noticing things are off is some kind of a pet peeve of mine, once I know about it I just can't focus anymore, something's always nagging me about how things *should* be. That's why I can't play in Fullscreen, it's not how it's "supposed" to be. It's stupid, I know that, be glad that you don't have that problem. :/
nrq

Post by nrq »

I've opened a bug report ticket here: sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=3606546&group_id=37116&atid=418820 (sorry, spam filter won't let me post direct links...)
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

I'm with you, NRQ. Just got an Galaxy S3 last Saturday and threw ScummVM on there. The aspect ratio thing bugs me too. :) Looking forward to this one getting fixed. I think I can handle a little flickering for now if it means things looking right, though.
nrq

Post by nrq »

Issue is still unresolved with the latest nightly build, my bug report got closed since it was a duplicate of a previous one from February 2012: https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.p ... id=418820#
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

I haven't checked this, but with a quick search this issue seems to appear in HTC phones and in Android 4.2. According to this page, disabling hardware overlays seems to help. Could someone test it?

http://landoftechnology.com/2012/fix-fo ... droid-4-2/
nrq

Post by nrq »

Yepp, I also found that (see my first post), but it doesn't help. Just tried it again to make sure, but the flickering is still there.
fuzzie
ScummVM Developer

Post by fuzzie »

It'll get hacked around in the 1.6.0 branch at least.
nrq

Post by nrq »

Can confirm it's fixed for me in today's nightly. Thanks a lot to all involved! :)