Virtual keyboard in eob1&2

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Maemo (Nokia N800/N810/N900) port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Smothermunchie

Post by Smothermunchie »

In Eye of the Beholder 1 and 2, the virtual keyboard doesn't work correctly.

Xkbd easily solves for this so it's not a big deal. :)

Will Grim Fandango be able to run on Maemo?

I just don't see how our tablets would be strong enough to handle this port but thought I would ask anyway. :)
tsoliman
ScummVM Developer

Post by tsoliman »

I split this post from the original since it is unrelated.

What exactly are you trying to do with the virtual keyboard? Did you try the keymapper?

Grim requires ResidualVM which I believe requires openGL or a fast CPU. This I think disqualifies your N800 and my n810. (Maybe on N900 there is hope)

I played it on an old laptop with an intel card so it is not really that demanding but a single core ARM 400 MHz with no openGL is too slow IMHO. Who knows, maybe I am wrong.
Smothermunchie

Post by Smothermunchie »

What exactly are you trying to do with the virtual keyboard? Did you try the keymapper?
Typing in a new character's name.

As far as I can tell, the keymapper works great. :)
tsoliman
ScummVM Developer

Post by tsoliman »

I see. It seems to be typing the last character N times where N is the length of th word. (e.g. "word" becomes "dddd")
Typing one character at a time works though. Must be something to do with keydown vs keyup.
I'll run it through the debugger to see what's going on.

UPDATE: I think the problem is that the vkeybd is pushing the keyboard events too fast for the game scripts to read them. This is sort of the same problem as the gobliiins right-click.
Adding a delay fixes it but there's no pretty way of handling this without refactoring the Event code like I planned.

In the meantime, the hack is here:
https://github.com/tsoliman/scummvm/tre ... workaround