ScummVM don't read King's Quest translation

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

vitali80

ScummVM don't read King's Quest translation

Post by vitali80 »

Hi ScummVM team, this is my first post and I take this opportunity to greet and say many thanks for ScummVM program.

I made an Italian translation of the original EGA version of King's Quest 1, but I have two problems:

- The game used with ScummVM read only the word "open" and not the Italian "apri".
Strange, if I change just the word "open" to "apri", but I leave in English all the rest, the word works.

- The second problem is ScummVM read only the translated text in LOGIC but don't read the .OVL modified text.

Could someone explain to me about this strange problem?

PS: Sorry for my English.
Last edited by vitali80 on Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: ScummVM don't read King's Quest translation

Post by eriktorbjorn »

vitali80 wrote: - The second problem is ScummVM read only the translated text in LOGIC but don't read the .EXE, .COM, or .OVL modified text.
I don't know about the first question, but ScummVM doesn't run the original .EXE file the way, say, DOSBox does. It's a replacement for the original .EXE, so presumably the texts in the .EXE exist in some form in ScummVM itself. (In which case there may or may not already be a translation for them. I've never used ScummVM in any other language than English myself.)
vitali80

Post by vitali80 »

eriktorbjorn wrote: I don't know about the first question, but ScummVM doesn't run the original .EXE file the way, say, DOSBox does. It's a replacement for the original .EXE, so presumably the texts in the .EXE exist in some form in ScummVM itself. (In which case there may or may not already be a translation for them. I've never used ScummVM in any other language than English myself.)
I so sorry! I forget ScummVM don't read EXE or COM :oops:
I've edited my first post, sorry.

Remains just .OVL file.

Thanks for the reponse, anyway :wink:
CaptainJei

Post by CaptainJei »

Is this problem only when running the game with ScummVM, or does it happen in DosBox too?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

vitali80 wrote: I so sorry! I forget ScummVM don't read EXE or COM :oops:

Remains just .OVL file.
Isn't .OVL also a chunk of executable code (and thus not used by ScummVM)? My knowledge of ancient DOS programming tricks is vague at best, but I do remember hearing something about splitting up a program into "overlays" to save memory, or something like that.

I could be completely mistaken, though.
vitali80

Post by vitali80 »

CaptainJei wrote:Is this problem only when running the game with ScummVM, or does it happen in DosBox too?
ScummVM only, DOSBox works perfect (probably AGI Studio is designed on MS-DOS language/process etc.).
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

vitali80 wrote:
CaptainJei wrote:Is this problem only when running the game with ScummVM, or does it happen in DosBox too?
ScummVM only, DOSBox works perfect (probably AGI Studio is designed on MS-DOS language/process etc.).
Er no, this is just nonsense. This sentence doesn't make any sense: "probably AGI Studio is designed on MS-DOS language/process etc".

You're trying to modify the original executable to translate specific strings within it and its overlay files, which are also executable code. We don't use any of the executable or overlay files, we've rewritten them in ScummVM (which is what this project is all about).

So, you'll need to create your own translated version of the ScummVM executable, with changed strings. Changing the original EXE/OVL files has no effect when playing the game with ScummVM, as they're totally ignored.
vitali80

Post by vitali80 »

md5 wrote: You're trying to modify the original executable to translate specific strings within it and its overlay files, which are also executable code. We don't use any of the executable or overlay files, we've rewritten them in ScummVM (which is what this project is all about).

So, you'll need to create your own translated version of the ScummVM executable, with changed strings. Changing the original EXE/OVL files has no effect when playing the game with ScummVM, as they're totally ignored.
OK, I'll try that.

Thanks guys, see you after the holidays.
Merry Xmas & happy new year :wink:
Bloodbat

Post by Bloodbat »

eriktorbjorn wrote:
vitali80 wrote: I so sorry! I forget ScummVM don't read EXE or COM :oops:

Remains just .OVL file.
Isn't .OVL also a chunk of executable code (and thus not used by ScummVM)? My knowledge of ancient DOS programming tricks is vague at best, but I do remember hearing something about splitting up a program into "overlays" to save memory, or something like that.

I could be completely mistaken, though.
You're not.