Gabriel Knight 2: The Beast Within music

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

CaptainJei

Gabriel Knight 2: The Beast Within music

Post by CaptainJei »

I just bought Gabriel Knight 2 off gog.com, and I'm playing through it for the first time. I'm a little confused about what the best music settings are. Currently I have it set to MT-32 for music (I have MT-32 ROM dumps and use a MUNT-enabled build of DosBox that I've used successfully with many other games).

Anyway, what music I hear all sounds digital, but there really seems to be very little, with most of the sound being ambient noise. Is this how the game is supposed to play? Or should there be music playing most of the time as in Gabriel Knight 1?
Freddo

Post by Freddo »

GK2 is all digital.
CaptainJei

Post by CaptainJei »

Is it normal for there to be long stretches without music? I've played through Chapter 1, and the only time I've heard music are during the video sequences and when walking near the guitar player in Marienplatz.
tsoliman
ScummVM Developer

Post by tsoliman »

Yes.
CaptainJei

Post by CaptainJei »

Thanks for the reply. I've noticed there's a lot more music in the later chapters. It's curious that the install program lets you select a MIDI device, since it doesn't seem to use it at all. I wonder why that is...
visualnoiz

Re: Gabriel Knight 2: The Beast Within music

Post by visualnoiz »

I am using a real MT-32 with an Avid C400 via USB
I did see the settings were defaulted to the MT32 when I went to go add mine, but I also don't hear it being used

I can verify it does communicate and had some programming from Sierra in that before the white logo appears, it does send the MT32 a message to display Sierra On-Line on the display which is the default welcome message
I thought maybe there would be some atmospherics at some point maybe footsteps or some added soundscape but I haven't noticed yet.