Disney Buys Lucasfilm

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

CharlyDic

Disney Buys Lucasfilm

Post by CharlyDic »

Wondering if this change of hands may impact on old graphic adventures and we start seeing Gaybrush going out with Gummi Bears.
Freddo

Post by Freddo »

Disney bought Marvel a while ago and so far there hasn't been any "Spider-Man & Donald Duck adventures" comics. I don't really think there will be any noticeable change.

One could argue that there been more Marvel movies from Hollywood lately I suppose, but that wheel started to spin before Disney bought Marvel, so I don't think it's really relevant.
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

Does this include LucasArts as well?
I wish id Software, Revolution Software or some similar open source friendly company would buy LucasArts. We might even see the Scumm authoring tools released. Sadly, I guess we don't ever.
Reckless

Post by Reckless »

Yes from what I've read it does. Hopefully that will not be an issue for the ScummVM project.
misterhands

Post by misterhands »

Yes from what I've seen, the deal includes LucasArts and every other assets and IP of LucasFilm.
Disney being the money machine that they are, they will now proceed to make Star Wars episodes to infinity (ep 7 8 9 already announced), and maybe a couple Indiana Jones as well.

As for the treasure chest of point and clic IP, sadly they will probably just sit on it.
So I guess we can now officially loose any last remaining hope of seeing the SCUMM/GrimE games being free-wared.
Oh well, they are worth buying anyway...
and we start seeing Gaybrush going out with Gummi Bears.
It's GUYbrush. GUYBRUSH THREEPWOOD !! :wink:
grim107

Post by grim107 »

[/quote]
It's GUYbrush. GUYBRUSH THREEPWOOD !! :wink:[/quote]

Peepwood?
timofonic

Ron Gilbert on Disney: “It should be me that owns MI"

Post by timofonic »

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/11/30/ron-g ... ey-island/

Disney’s recent acquisition of Lucasfilm scored it more than the Star Wars franchise: it also picked up LucasArts and its catalog of games, including Monkey Island and Maniac Mansion, landmarks of Double Fine designer Ron Gilbert’s career. While discussing his current project, The Cave (and his thoughts on The Walking Dead), I asked Gilbert how he felt about his work being under Disney’s control.

“I would find it hard to believe that Disney would do anything with them, just because I think they just have a lot more important things that will make them a lot more money,” said Gilbert. “Star Wars, for example, just to throw out one thing.

“And they’ve even said—even when they announced this thing—they said they’re really focused on mobile games. They’re just not doing PC games, they’re not doing console games, it’s just not their focus. So, I kind of don’t think they’re really going to do anything, and I think this probably wasn’t even on their radar when they bought Lucasfilm either.

“It’s kind of sad in a way. Yeah, I wish I owned Monkey Island and Maniac Mansion, you know? The fact that Lucasfilm owned them, I guess I was kind of OK with that, right? Because I made them there. But now that they’re owned by someone else–that kind of sits weird with me. It’s like, ‘Well, if someone else is going to own Monkey Island, it should be me that owns Monkey Island.’”

I pointed out that certain developers have reacquired the rights to their franchises, using Kickstarter to fund sequels, but Gilbert doesn’t imagine Disney would be easy to negotiate with.

“My only fear with Disney is that they don’t need the money. It’s not like I could ever offer them enough money to make it worth their while for them. They just seem to be a company that hoards IP, and that kind of worries me. If it had been anyone else but Disney that bought them, I would try to go put together some money and buy them back. But because it’s Disney, maybe not. But we’ll see, you never know.”

Regarding his work at Double Fine, Gilbert says, “it’s good to know that it’s not owned by a big giant conglomerate.”
Graxer

Re: Ron Gilbert on Disney: “It should be me that owns MI&quo

Post by Graxer »

It really is a shame to see that it has indeed been passed over to Disney. I loved the Monkey Island Series, and as far as I see it Ron Gilbert is the rightful owner. I really hope he can work something out with Disney, although I agree that that is very unlikley to happen. :(
Captain Peepcoot

Re: Ron Gilbert on Disney: “It should be me that owns MI&

Post by Captain Peepcoot »

Graxer wrote: Ron Gilbert is the rightful owner.
Totally agree! And from what I saw, he's pissed off about this whole thing happening too.

I don't know about you guys, but I hope Monkey Island never becomes adaptated into film. It would come out as another tacky adventure film and ruin the whole spirit of MI.
scoriae

Re: Ron Gilbert on Disney: “It should be me that owns MI&

Post by scoriae »

If I were him, I'd go to Disney and talk to them. It might take time, but the idea that they aren't willing to do *anything* at all with the Ip seems silly to me. They said when they bought Lucasfilms and the lucasarts stuff was just sort of a free throw-in. If they can either sell part of that, or otherwise make money off part of that... then why wouldn't they?

I also don't know where Gilbert gets the idea that Disney just "hoards IP's". I may be ignorant as to what IP's they own and are sitting on, but as far as media companies go - they are extremely actives. Not only do they keep up with movies and merchandising for a back catalog of movies that goes back to the 30's, but they also release all sorts of other media.

A glance at their game studio releases:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Di ... dios_games

Will appear to only be Disney properties a t first, but if you dig through you find games like Split/Second: Velocity.

I guess my point it, LucasArts made it clear they were happy to just sit on the IP and do nothing with it (unless you count allowing TTG to put out Tales from MI). Disney is a new company and a new chance for a lot of those games to get out from under the shadow of all those Star Wars games. Writing it off just because they are a big company seems short sighted. Gilbert ought to at least give them a chance to turn him down before he starts bitching.
sirlemonhead

Post by sirlemonhead »

Yeah it all makes sense - if it requires x amount of work on their part to legally sell the rights to Gilbert (lawyers and whatnot), how much time and money will that effort cost them? It's not worth their while unfortunately.

I had totally forgotten about the impact on the game sides of things with this aquistion. I hadn't thought much beyond "ooh maybe they'll release the original untouched Star Wars on Blu ray now!"
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

sirlemonhead wrote:I had totally forgotten about the impact on the game sides of things with this aquistion. I hadn't thought much beyond "ooh maybe they'll release the original untouched Star Wars on Blu ray now!"
Forget that! We want the holiday special!
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

sirlemonhead wrote:I hadn't thought much beyond "ooh maybe they'll release the original untouched Star Wars on Blu ray now!"
While at it, they should hire Adywan as chief of the remastering division, and do seamless branching Blu-Ray editions with the original theatrical cut (with original mono, original dolby stereo and THX dolby stereo), Adywan's Revisited, and for completeness, the Special Editions. Each with corrected colors, but otherwise keeping their respective cut intact.

And since Gorge is not in charge anymore, add the Jympson cut as a bonus as well.
topolinik

Post by topolinik »

I want to put on the spotlight my idea about this whole story.
Disney bought LucasFilm & all the other stuff because they need "Industrial Light & Magic" for they next blockbuster movies.
And aside from these, they are now able to create even more movies using names (Indiana Jones, Star Wars universe) they weren't allowed to.
Knowing this, I believe all the adventure games we care (the original titles by LucasArts) will be useless to them. This is why Ron should talk with Disney asap.

And, by the way, Disney already did a Monkey Island movie.