Free in the dark.

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Les

Free in the dark.

Post by Les »

Hi :). I was wondering if Yazor has ever finished his Free in the dark engine. Does somebody know about some working version for Windows, please? If I good remember, the Free in the dark engine, was able to run the game in higher resolutions, like 1024x768. Thanks in advance for any info.
Strangerke
ScummVM Developer

Post by Strangerke »

Hi!

As you may have noticed if you ever played this game, it's using 3D graphics which means it's out of scope. You'll have better luck if you discuss this title on the forums of ResidualVM, our sister project who deals with 3D adventure games.

Have fun!
Les

Post by Les »

Hi Stragnerke, thank you for reply. I'm completely aware about this point :-D. That's why I didn't ask, if the engine will be ever implemented in to the Scummvm :), just asked about the status of the engine it self, if somebody know something about the finalisation of the engine and if there was a Windows version or only the linux one. :-) ( and ... that's the reason of "Junkyard" question )
somaen
ScummVM Developer

Post by somaen »

The engine will NEVER be merged into ScummVM, just like the Grim-engine never will. The reason for this is, once again, as Strangerke said, that they both are 3D (or atleast 2.5D), while ScummVM targets 2D Adventure games.

ResidualVM would be where to go for these questions (forums.residualvm.org). But, since I would probably have to answer the same question over there, I'll answer your question here this once:

We did look into the Free In The Dark-code, and while it does work for Linux/32-bit Mac OS X atleast (and possibly Windows), it does have issues with 64-bit platforms, and would require quite a bit of work to work inside ResidualVM, as well as the additional work to iron out bugs and improve upon the support for the games. (Right now it should be able to complete Alone in the Dark 1, although I didn't test that).

All that said, no-one is working on it at this point, and personally my focus is on EMI there and Wintermute here, so the simple answer then becomes:

Free in the dark will not be included in ResidualVM for the forseeable future