disable/hide soft keys

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Android port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

elynch

disable/hide soft keys

Post by elynch »

I am currently using SCUMMVM on my nexus 7 tablet and there are "soft keys" located at the bottom of the screen. The soft keys hide in some applications like video players. I was wondering if it is possible to hide the soft keys while playing scummvm.

Thank you
bunklung

Post by bunklung »

I think the only way you can hide the soft navigation keys is to root your phone and use some kind of mod like LMT. Try posting your question on the XDA forums for your device.

I do not use the Nexus 7, but I use a Galaxy Nexus. I went out of my way to root and mod the phone just so I could turn off the soft navigation keys. I now use LMT mode to use full screen. No more accidentilly hitting the home button when playing game true full screen.
fuzzie
ScummVM Developer

Re: disable/hide soft keys

Post by fuzzie »

elynch wrote:I am currently using SCUMMVM on my nexus 7 tablet and there are "soft keys" located at the bottom of the screen. The soft keys hide in some applications like video players. I was wondering if it is possible to hide the soft keys while playing scummvm.
It's on our TODO list, thanks.
bunklung

Re: disable/hide soft keys

Post by bunklung »

While I am no expert. I have looked into full screen mods for the Galaxy Nexus WITHOUT rooting.

That could not be done.

I am certain you can not remove the naigation buttons from the Nexus 7.

http://developer.android.com/reference/ ... NAVIGATION

"There is a limitation: because navigation controls are so important, the least user interaction will cause them to reappear immediately. When this happens, both this flag and SYSTEM_UI_FLAG_FULLSCREEN will be cleared automatically, so that both elements reappear at the same time."

Soft Nav buttons will disapear, but as soon as the user tries to move the mouse or interacts with the screen, BAM, nav keys come back. Works great for videos, but does not work with games that require touch input.

However, you could use low profile mode.

http://developer.android.com/reference/ ... OW_PROFILE

"In low profile mode, the status bar and/or navigation icons may dim."

You do NOT gain screen resolution. The soft nav buttons still works, but they dim and turn into little gradiated balls.

Google will need to change the way core Android essentially works for full screen, soft nav buttons, and touch input to work in harmony. Otherwise, people will need to root their devices and use mods to get the core nav buttons back with a util like LMT or button savior/hide bar.

This seems to be polular amoung rooted tablet users:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... it.hidebar

fuzzie wrote:
elynch wrote:I am currently using SCUMMVM on my nexus 7 tablet and there are "soft keys" located at the bottom of the screen. The soft keys hide in some applications like video players. I was wondering if it is possible to hide the soft keys while playing scummvm.
It's on our TODO list, thanks.