Long Press Menu Key -> Keyboard

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Android port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

bunklung

Long Press Menu Key -> Keyboard

Post by bunklung »

Is there any other way to get the keyboard to show?
hexaae

Post by hexaae »

Have the same problem: on HTC One S I don't have a proper Menu button, so how do I switch to keyboard to skip MI2 copy protection for example???

Long press for Volume Down or Back button would be better and all Android devices have these keys... Or even better a triple touch gesture (all touch devices support at least 3 touches)...
bunklung

Post by bunklung »

I ended up using Tasker to show keyboard.

https://groups.google.com/d/topic/taske ... discussion

You could set an event, like shake the phone, and have the keyboard show with the above workaround.
hexaae

Post by hexaae »

Thank you for the idea, but we badly need an alternative/better way to pop-up the keyboard with ScummVM, working on ALL Android touch devices.
Menu button was a bad idea.
bunklung

Post by bunklung »

Agreed. Until they work on usability, all we have is workarounds, sadly.
hexaae wrote:Thank you for the idea, but we badly need an alternative/better way to pop-up the keyboard with ScummVM, working on ALL Android touch devices.
Menu button was a bad idea.
fuzzie
ScummVM Developer

Post by fuzzie »

hexaae wrote:Menu button was a bad idea.
Multitouch has never been required for Android compatibility. 3-touch multitouch definitely isn't available on all devices. Volume keys haven't been required since Android 1.6.

It sucks that HTC decided to break the Menu button on their devices, and we'll look into adding another way to do it, but the Menu button was most convenient by far on most devices.
bunklung

Post by bunklung »

Great! AGS has a "keys" and exit dialog when you single press menu button.

I *think* HTC is coming out with a fix to add back traditional style menu buttons on the HTC One S. Expect long press is still not an option.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/8/4/322005 ... ion-coming

The problem is that it may effect screen realestate *if* ScummVM adds a menu botton while playing the game. That wouldn't be cool.

Otherwise for HTC One users....

"AT&T One X users can either leave the functionality as it is, set a short press of the multitasking button to serve as the menu key while a long press enters the app switching menu, or vice-versa. While the One X and One S are now promised to get similar functionality, the Evo 4G LTE, and Droid Incredible 4G LTE are still left out in the cold for now."

So long pressing could still be an issue for HTC One/S/X yet Evo 4G and DINC 4G are left in the cold :(

Thanks for your response. Can you give us a peak at the todo list?
fuzzie wrote:
hexaae wrote:Menu button was a bad idea.
Multitouch has never been required for Android compatibility. 3-touch multitouch definitely isn't available on all devices. Volume keys haven't been required since Android 1.6.

It sucks that HTC decided to break the Menu button on their devices, and we'll look into adding another way to do it, but the Menu button was most convenient by far on most devices.
bunklung

Post by bunklung »

I finally found a working solution. The only caveat is that you must have a rooted phone/device:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... mart.swkey

You simply hold down the virtual menu button and the keyboard shows.
hexaae

Post by hexaae »

Still the same problem and no alternative solution yet :(
I really think an alternative gesture should be added to scummvm Android.... the 2-tap swipe-up gesture would be a good solution. I repeat, as an alternative so both of them (keep menu key pressed AND another gesture) should work.

At present games like Monkey Island 2 (copy protection screen) can't be by-passed on some devices. Should be an urgent fix. :?

EDIT:
Other possible alternative gesture ideas are welcome.

Mine are:
1. double-click menu press
2. simultaneous 2-tap swipe up gesture
3. a much simpler universal "call Keyboard" option (maybe just a small icon placed somewhere to avoid re-editing the whole interface) in the in-game menu :lol:

Image Image

Very useful and universal for all mobile Android systems including tablets etc...
(Obviously K - Keyboard should be localized. A simple Google or Bing translator should help "...Keyboard, Teclado, Tastiera, Tastatur, Clavier...")
Berni314

Post by Berni314 »

bunklung wrote:You could set an event, like shake the phone, and have the keyboard show with the above workaround.
Thank you very much for the link.
Finaly I also did it with that workaround.
But I don't use LMT Launcher (as linked from the link) which needs rooted, but use Pie Control instead.
(It's by far not perfect - after opening the virtual keyboard, the mouspointer is no longer working after closing keyboard, but switching to an other app and back is making all right.)

Nevertheless it's a shame, that such a great program ScummVM is not solving it in a better way - at least not till, now.
hexaae

Post by hexaae »

Yep, unfortunately nobody seem to care about this big problem for many users that can't keep menu button pressed on their smartphones... :cry: